• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My A. agassizii

gan

5 Year Member
There is very much fat in eggs and so eggs color is strongly dependent on diet.
Pigments dissolved in fat (lipochroms: red - carotens and lycopens, yellow - xanthophyll) migrate from food to eggs practically not changed.

GAN

beleg

5 Year Member
Nice! I am feeding the mom more bloodworms and decapped artemia eggs this time to see if there is any difference.

I lost only 10 or so eggs (didn't hatch or got damaged while i was removing the ones with fungus). however seems i was also wrong about my estimation. There maybe around 60-70 wigglers..

Ok Below are the pix..

tank.jpg

eggs
eggs.jpg

wigglers
wigller.jpg

gan

5 Year Member
I am feeding the mom more bloodworms
Bloodworms have pigment from other group - hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is metabolized at the digestion and I am not sure if it may have influence on eggs color.

BTW - Hemoglobin lets bloodworms live in very polluted water.

GAN

beleg

5 Year Member
Hence the name then :) Well at least this time i can feed her more than the male. Usually he was using his size to his advantage when eating.

fishgeek

good to see they got through the camallanus and are breeding

heamoglobin colour is based around iron
as suggested before other colours are based around carotene or caroten bound to a protein
hence feeding things that eat lots of green.. ie daphnia/bbs etc need to be gut loaded with algae to increase the level of carotene's

kind of like flamingoe's colour from eating shrimp

beleg

5 Year Member
Thx Andrew. So i must setup my own daphnia culture and feed it with spriluna..

Btw I counted the wigglers and there seems to be 130 of them.. How did she , being so small , manage to pump out 140 eggs is a wonder to me. :)

beleg

5 Year Member
How long does it take for the fry to swim ? Its been 9-10 days since the eggs were laid and a week since they hatched. The fry have been making jumpy movements on the bottom of the incubator. I fed them with artemia and microworms but only some seem to be eating. Most of them just rise a cm from to bottom and then sink again.

Is this normal?

fishgeek

intially they are called wriggler because of the moveemtn you describe

at abut the week mark they will start to swim(free swimming) and this is when the mother would normally start leading them out to feed
prior to this the egg sack will ahve been maintaining them

andrew

beleg

5 Year Member
But its already more than a week (8 days since they hatched).. Some of them do eat artemia, they have pink bellies. But mostly they just swim sticked to the ground. In short jumps. and none seems to show interest in microworms :(

fishgeek

poor bouyancy? belly sliders though i would have expected some to get off the floor
slower development in this batch to some degree temperature dependant

see what the other more experienced breeders have to say

beleg

5 Year Member
Yeah.. I couldn't find the term. Most of them are belly sliders. A few swim quite well , rest rarely lift off the bottom. Whatever the reason is there a cure for this or is the batch lost?

beleg

5 Year Member
I noticed that there is a cyclops bloom (and an accompanying fry loss) in my tank. I am feeding my fry in an incubator , like Ted Judy's design, with mostly microworms and artemia. The cyclops were definitely not a problem, or were not numerous that I'd notice them before the fry.

I wonder if they do kill the fry (i have read that before) or they are just blooming because of artemia & microworms.

The cyclops are almost as tiny as the artemia themselves, the breeding pair doesn't even try to eat them. In a few days the remaining fry should be big enough to eat them but they all still slide on their bellies.

The tank has Cyanobacteria, could that be causing the fry to belly slide?

beleg

5 Year Member
Nitrites should be low but i haven't measured nitrates. I do %25 water changes weekly but heavy feeding with live/frozen food introduces lots of nitrates and phosphates. I might get a kit and do massive change according to the results.

beleg

5 Year Member
Resurrecting an old thread. My A. agassizi have rewarded me with a school of 50 or so fry which started free swimming today.

A bad picture, sorry for the dirty glass i came home very late

DSC03537a.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….