• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

mountain clouds as dithers and fry

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning All,

in my 3 90litre apisto tanks I use mountain clouds as dithers. As my Honsloi pair has 5 week old fry and now a new batch of eggs, I removed the Mountain clouds into the other tank with the pelvi taeniatus. Now I look in my hongsloi tank and I have approx 30 tiny swimmi fry from the mountain clouds. Wow that is a buzz, baby hongsloi and baby mountain clouds. anyway this made my day

have a good one cheers jks :biggrin:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You really do not need to remove White Cloud Mountain Minnows from breeding tanks. When adeqately fed, they will not eat even their own eggs or fry.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello Mike,

Was not aware ofthat. did a lot of reading on the mountain cloud, as the tetras are excellentfry hunters, so in the end tried the mountain clouds.
Will put them back later, but what a buzz seeing those tiny little mountain fry.
cheers jk :biggrin:

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
Why use dither fish? They can get killed or possibly eat eggs or fry. That can get annoying and expensive. In my fish racks all the tanks have clear sides so the fish can see each other. If they want to defend their turf they can see into the tank next store. They can attack the glass and never hurt the other fish while satisfying their urges to protect. If it is to much for the breeding pair to handle paper can be slide in between the tanks as a blind. It works great for the larger South and Central America cichlids (see but not touch method). It worked great for me over the years. And as a bonus I don't have to hear the wife and kids complain about sacrificing dither fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There is a difference between 'target fish' and 'dither fish'. I've found that your method - using target fish - works well for the more aggressive species. I used it with Ivanacara adoketa. It prevented a lot of abuse between the pair. For more shy species, however, dither fish help ease the shyness of the dwarf cichlid. They become more comfortable with their surroundings when they see other smaller fish out and about and not being attacked. They seem to be more interested in eating & breeding. If you use the right dither fish with the right dwarf species, one shouldn't have to sacrifice dither fish.

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
Hi Mike. After playing with the big Central and South American kunkleheads for the last 20 years my perspectives on spawning may be a bit askewed. Dither fish, target fish, beater fish a distraction by any other name as long as the project fish spawn and don't kill each other all is good. Although I agree with your statements I still prefer not to leave things to chance. I have a strange black cloud that follows me sometimes, if something bad can happen it will. Good conversation I enjoy hearing other people thoughts and views. There is much to be learned here.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….