• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Most sellable dwarfs?

Jeffery Doty

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone,

I would like to try and cater to some of the LFS's in my area, and I was wondering what everyone thought would be the dwarfs that would be most in demand?

Of course, I could go talk to the stores, and get some opinions, but I would really like to hear from everyone, and see what you have to say. Maybe it is fairly standard, or maybe there is some geographical differences. Or, who knows?

Any thoughts, or experience with this?

Thank you for the help!

Jeff
Oregon

Jeffery Doty

5 Year Member
Ted,

LOL! Not too far from the truth. But I just sold my mated pair of angels! 2 spawns, and all my grow out tanks were flooded, and I could not get rid of them fast enough. But they were fun, and real easy to work with.

No thoughts on the dwarfs anyone?

Jeff
Oregon

farm41

5 Year Member
Quality Rams, some that anyone can take home and plunk into a tank, look good and and not die in a week.

I just love the little buggers.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:lol: Yellow Labidochromis... it IS a DWARF!!!!

Seriously... The best thing is to raise the fish that you like to raise. Raise a few of them so you don't flood the market. Be reasonable if the store says 'none today'. Most stores will take A. cockatoides or aggies... because they are familiar with them.

Another good choice, because stores have a hard time getting them consistantly, is albino kribensis.

Orchid

5 Year Member
This is something that I have to take into consideration here in So. OR. The water. I run my well water, which is already very pure, just high in calcium and phosphates=high pH and algae food-through an RO unit. This works great for low pH fish like the S.A. dwarves. But the lfs do not do this, their pH is very high, 8.0 or more. I have orderrd low pH cichlids from them and have explained they need a low pH. It is strange, they hear cichlid and assume that they all require a high pH like the rift lake cichlids, which is really what the lfs in this area only sell. It took one store a couple years to at least lower the pH in their discus tank.

They won't put the fish into a neutral pH tank, even if they are special ordered for me, every low pH cichlid I have ever ordered from them has passed away from the pH shock no matter how slowly I acclimate them. Therefore, if ever I grow out some low pH fish, I will have to travel at least 2.5 hours to sell them to a store which will accomodate their needs. You might ask and see what the water parameters are at your lfs. It would suck to know that you are selling fish to a store only to die from something like pH shock and then you get the reputation of having sick fish.

Scooter

5 Year Member
Personally, I think Microgeophagus altispinosa (Bolivian Rams) and Pelvicachromis Pulcher (Kribensis) are two dwarf species that many people like. Some might consider the German Rams more attractive, but they aren't as hardy as the altispinosas. I think these two species would be in pretty good demand. However, the majority of fish keepers don't keep cichlids, which is why, as a rule, there is less demand for them.

Neil

Hey Jeff and Scooter,
Long time no hear. Glad you're back.

I have always found cacatuoides to be the as good as any Dwarf for the LFS's. They can usually take the water, they are a fish that most people can work with, and they are usually very attractive animals. They all-around give Dwarf Cichlids a good name.
But the other suggestions are excellent too. Kribs, Boliv. rams, ramerizi, aggies, as well as borellii and nijsenni. Except for ramerizi (they are there anyway) are fairly good fotr the stores. Hard water dwarfs like Julidichromis and shell-dwellers are also a good bet. But the best selling Dwarf in the market is and will probably always be "baby angels" 8O .
If your deal is to make money that should be your focus. I like to sell a pair or 2 of really nice apistos (sometimes rare) to a LFS that I know will take care of them because that is yet another way to get someone interested in the area of this hobby that we all love.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….