• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Most effective filters for small tanks

Genes

5 Year Member
Hi all

Anyone have recommedations of good filters run via air pumps for small tanks? Housing my apistos in 9 tanks of size 45cm by 45cm by 20cm. Currently using a 4 outlet airpump with airway splitters to run sponge filters due to space constriant and lack of sufficient electrical outlets. Finding ways to make the water cleaner for the apistos.

Eugene

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree.. sponge filters. I do not know the brands you have in Singapore, but I use mostly Hydro Sponge filters. I really small tanks I take a sponge from a Hydro 2 and cut it in half, then use it on the frame for a Hydro 1. This is the same as what is being sold as a Hydro 0 (the mini). The real difference is that the diameter of the sponge does not take up as much space in the tank as a Hydro 1 would.

I also like the old-fashioned Lee's mini sponge filter... the round one with the yellow sponge and single narrow lift tube in the center. The only problem is that they sit flat on the bottom and can trap fish. I solve this by attaching a short air line with an airline connector on the end. The length of the airline is just long enough that if the connector is outside the glass canopy the sponge filter hangs about 1/2" off the bottom of the tank. I will try to take a picture of that and post it.

Genes

5 Year Member
I thought maybe the sponge filters may not be able to provide sufficient filtration and build up of beneficial bacteria for small tanks.

Anyone used these product before? Take a look at these
http://www.ph-clion.com/product/filter/small/index.html
http://www.ph-clion.com/product/filter/system/01.html
http://www.ph-clion.com/product/filter/system/02.html
It works like a box filter and heard that their bio-rings are very effective in keeping the water clean. Pity these products are not available in Singapore.

They even have medias to cater for breeding of cichilids.
http://www.ph-clion.com/product/filtration/products/01.html
http://www.ph-clion.com/product/filtration/feature/01.html

The blue bio-rings will lower the Ph and yet does not taint the water unlike peat. Red bio-rings brings up the Ph.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I cannot think of any filter media with an equal volume that has more biological filtration capacity than a sponge filter, plus the added benefit of good mechanical filtration. The cost is better too, when you compare the price of a sponge filter to the price a box filter and the media to put in it. Ceramic rings and the like are not as efficient as a sponge filter because the size of the gaps in and between the rings permits more water to pass through without close contact with the beneficial bacteria. Gravel or similar media is less efficient because the volume of each gravel piece takes up space that is not used for surface area for bacteria to live. A sponge is a network of very small spaces between narrow surface areas, and the result is a huge total surface area for the bacteria, and narrow passages for water to travel through to contact the bacteria. Plus, sponges are super easy to clean. You can wring them out under room temperature tap water twice a month and no harm will come to the bacteria. If you are nervous about that you can rinse them in tank waste water during a water change, but that removes less dirt.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ted failed to mention other benefits of sponge filters. They produce a large quantity of micro-organisms on the surface of the sponge that small fry feed on. They are also very easy to sterilize when necessary. Simply put the foam in boiling water or for a couple of minutes in a microwave oven. They are easy to activate, too. Simply take a bucket of fish water, squeeze the dirt out of a healthy sponge into the water, and let the sterile sponge pump the dirty water from the bucket into its foam. After an hour, squeeze out the excess dirty water from the sponge. It is now fully inoculated with beneficial bacteria.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike Hellweg puts all his sponges through a soapless cycle in the clothes washing machine once or twice a year. Apparently the rinsing and spinning really cleans the gunk out of them. I have found that regular rinsing is all I need though.

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Simply take a bucket of fish water, squeeze the dirt out of a healthy sponge into the water, and let the sterile sponge pump the dirty water from the bucket into its foam. After an hour, squeeze out the excess dirty water from the sponge. It is now fully inoculated with beneficial bacteria.

Brilliant! Why in the world didn't I ever think of that. Instead I am always setting up more sponges in my main tanks to 'seed' them.
Cathy

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike Hellweg puts all his sponges through a soapless cycle in the clothes washing machine once or twice a year. Apparently the rinsing and spinning really cleans the gunk out of them. I have found that regular rinsing is all I need though.

I know someone who does that every week! They have a homemade type filter with 2 sponges. Each week one side gets pulled, and thrown into the washer, with the other side being done the week after.

Genes

5 Year Member
I cycled my sponge filters for more then 2weeks before using them. And consistantly dose Nutrafin Cycle to help kick start the cycling and yet "white spots" appear. Fish load isin't high too, just a pair of apistos and a pair of dither fish in each tank.

Thats what spark me to look for other filters as i lost confidence in the sponge filters. So i suppose something is wrong with the beneficial bacteria?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Are you sure that the ich is being caused by a problem with the filter? IME, the most common cuase for ich is temperature fluxuations, and small tanks are notoriously bad for changing temperatures.

Have you been testing for ammonia and nitrite? If either of those are elevated I woudl then suspect the biologoc filter. I would not test it too soon after adding on of the 'cycling' chemicals. Most of those contain ammonia and nitrite to feed bacteria.

dhm325

5 Year Member

If I put a sponge filter in the washing machine my wife would put me in the dryer for at least 1 hour.

AdamT

5 Year Member
If you want more flexability with media than a sponge filter, or if you want something quieter you could use something like the ZooMed Turtle 501 mini canister filter. I've got one, I'm pretty happy with it.

It sounds like you want something air driven, so this probably isn't your solution, but I like the unit so I thought I'd spread the word.

I once had some ich that I had trouble driving out. Ich specific meds weren't helping me. Instead the answer turned out to be increased general health for the fish. Increased waterchanges, Kent Vita, and a garlic extract supliment while they were still sick. Ich hates the garlic.

A

Genes

5 Year Member
The ZooMed501 looks exactly like the Eden501 i am having. Love that filter too. Very quiet cannistor filter. Pity i can't afford to have 9 of them running for my 9 tanks. :biggrin:

I'll do more regular water changes and feed less for the time being.

STOKER

5 Year Member
Ted failed to mention other benefits of sponge filters. They produce a large quantity of micro-organisms on the surface of the sponge that small fry feed on. They are also very easy to sterilize when necessary. Simply put the foam in boiling water or for a couple of minutes in a microwave oven. They are easy to activate, too. Simply take a bucket of fish water, squeeze the dirt out of a healthy sponge into the water, and let the sterile sponge pump the dirty water from the bucket into its foam. After an hour, squeeze out the excess dirty water from the sponge. It is now fully inoculated with beneficial bacteria.

I agree with Mike on this , but don`t do it with "clean'' water by just putting a clean sponge in a tank because it will not seed . There are NO micro-organisms free-floating in tank water they must form a colony in the filter media , so the idea of seeding a sponge in your tank WILL NOT work . I keep spare seeded sponges in the drum that is used for water changes. Made up a large filter unit from plastic pipe/fittings that is powered by my air blower , just rinse out the sponge before use in a bucket of water and put it in the tank after its set up.

Stoker :) :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….