• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

moss for fry tanks?

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Hi all and I'm looking for java moss, To stay on top of the fry tanks. Should I use something else for that any input thankfully used.

Seb

5 Year Member
Java moss works well, but alternativly you could use dwarf riccia, which I use often. Both work well :)

Cumb Dunt

5 Year Member
I personally prefer hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) because it is a floating plant by nature and it is very undemanding. The leaves are stiffer than mosses and therefore adult fish have a harder time catching fry that hide in it. I use it in all of my fry tanks.

It is also allelopathically active toward duckweed and algae :biggrin:

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Howdie Apisto_Ranch:

I bought a box of various species of floating plants from this guy through AquaBid:
Adam DeWilde
[email protected]

The plants are in transit to Lincoln as we speak, so I can't tell you anything yet about their quality. However, Adam has excellent ratings at AB, and I know that he has more floaters available at a very good price. You may want to contact him.

Good luck!

IndianaSam

5 Year Member
Cumb Dunt said:
It is also allelopathically active toward duckweed and algae :biggrin:

Is this true? Can you find a supporting link?

The reason I ask is because I have a shrimp tank that is overrun by duckweed (and just to keep this somewhat on topic, so are my dwarf cichlid tanks). I'm having a hard time eradicating the duckweed, however, since all my baby shrimp seem to hide in the duckweed and I'm loathe to lose any shrimp by scooping out the duckweed.

So a plant that would inhibit duckweed growth would be a great thing for me.

Sam

PS Sorry for the off topic post.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I do not use hortwort because I have had problems with needle drop after large water changes.

I like water lettuce and frog bit to cover the surface. I also got some plants from Adam Dewilde and they are great. I now have too many!

I use java moss because it sinks. It is a great place for fry to hang out in a bare tank, and the bbs get tangled in it. The fry poke around it all day eating.

Cumb Dunt

5 Year Member
IndianaSam said:
Is this true? Can you find a supporting link?

The reason I ask is because I have a shrimp tank that is overrun by duckweed (and just to keep this somewhat on topic, so are my dwarf cichlid tanks). I'm having a hard time eradicating the duckweed, however, since all my baby shrimp seem to hide in the duckweed and I'm loathe to lose any shrimp by scooping out the duckweed.

So a plant that would inhibit duckweed growth would be a great thing for me.

Sam

PS Sorry for the off topic post.

Check out Diana Walstad's "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium".

She lists many species that are allelopathically active toward Lemna and one alga or another.

When you say "duckweed" you're saying Lemna minor, right? And not frogbit?

What I would do if I were you is put some Phyllanthus or some Pistia in there. I have noticed that these two tend to eventually out-compete Lemna and you won't have much after a while.

IndianaSam

5 Year Member
Cumb Dunt said:
Check out Diana Walstad's "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium".

She lists many species that are allelopathically active toward Lemna and one alga or another.

When you say "duckweed" you're saying Lemna minor, right? And not frogbit?

What I would do if I were you is put some Phyllanthus or some Pistia in there. I have noticed that these two tend to eventually out-compete Lemna and you won't have much after a while.

Thanks. I'm checking it out from my library today!

Sam

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Ok so so far I have three differnt things i should add to the bare bottomed tank to help with food,hiding,shrimp. So whats the best plant to use for a bare bottomed tank. I'm just looking for something to give them a hiding spot and to help them grow out of the being scared of everything.
I know most fish will be that way. I guess I'm rying to adopt them to a planted tank live thats coming up soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….