• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

monogamous?

rdrooster

I have triple reds. Is it better to keep them in trios or pairs? And can females be paired with different males to produce different traits? Or will females, once mated,reject other males?

sorriva99

Triple red is not the name of the species, the cotrect name is apistogramma cacatuoides, and they are polygamous look like all the Apistos.
What is the size of the thank?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most apistos are polygamous, but females of some species can be very choosy about mates. They might not be truly monogamous for life, but most iniridae- and nijsseni-group species females will reject potential males as long as their original mate is still around. Even removing the original male might not encourage a female to chose a new mate. Fortunately for you, A. cacatuoides is a polygamous species. It is best to keep several females with a male - if the tank is large enough and properly decorated.

rdrooster

I am using a 10 gallon for one pair and a 29 gallon for possible trio. I have 4 non related females but I have many amazing males from a pair I just sold. So I would love to rotate the males to see which pairs produce the nicest fry. I have a 55 gal I plan to keep two or three males in while they wait their turn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….