• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

mike you lucky ...

Tea

5 Year Member
Hey Mike what did you bring back? just curios and would love to see some pics of the places you saw and collected from...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most of the fish I brought back were for my personal study of the eunotus-complex & understand the relationships of the nijsseni-group species west of the Rio Ucayali. This is everything I brought back:

Colombia:
A. sp. Nadelstreifen
A. agassizii yellow morph
Misc. characiforms:
A new (?) Poecilocharax or Gnathocharax sp.
Nannostomus marginatus
Nannostomus trifasciatus
2 different Pyrrhulina spp.
Copella sp.
The Pyrrhulinids will probably be going to the Weitzmans at the Smithsonians if they want them, as well as 2 Tyttocharax sp. that didn't make it back alive.

Colombia can be an unnerving place. The national police were everywhere in full combat gear. We saw them arrest suspected rebels - hands bound behind their backs, blindfolds, in a ditch with assault weapons trained on them. I hadn't seen this for 40 years (in another part of the world).

Peru:
Iquito/Nauta:
Crenuchus spilurus (Sailfin tetra) w/beautiful red fins.
Lost the A. sp. Schwarzbrust/Black-breast before we left.

Pebas/Rio Shashita:
A. sp. Papagei (Ampiyacu) A91
A. cf. eunotus Shishita (Big & very BLUE - almost like Morado!)
We only collected A. sp. Pebas-Morado, but only 1 female that survived. Tom took those to Norway.

Huantá:
A. cf. eunotus Huantá (collectors call it "Negro"; might be the Albertini form of A. cf. eunotus Schwanzstreifen/Tail-stripes)
Boehlkea sp. (Blue tetra)

Rio Itaya:
A. sp. Oregon
Moenkhausea cf. edithae

Rio Tigre:
A. bitaeniata RED!

Orán:
A. sp. Roca Eterna (a eunotus-complex form that just might be the less colorful Papagei A92 - I need to study this further.

Unknown collecting areas (from tanks at Stingray Aquarium):
A. sp. Zwilling/Twin
A. sp. Nijsseni-New
A. norberti

Photos are still being sorted. They need to be re-sized before I can show any.

Microman

5 Year Member
And thanks to Tom i now also have the vast majority of the Apistos swimming in my tanks now.
The A cf eunotus Shishita are absolutely stunning Mike... Very pleased indeed with the A sp Nadelstreifen.

"Quote Mike"
We saw them arrest suspected rebels - hands bound behind their backs, blindfolds, in a ditch with assault weapons trained on them. I hadn't seen this for 40 years (in another part of the world).

Well Mike as i said to Tom, If i had seen this i would have fallen from those motorcycles with my backside twitching somewhat.....

Mark...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….