• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Maulbruter with other apisto

K

Kalle

I have a 375L. tank with a par of a.cacatuoides, a par of a.nijsenni, some corydoras and some rasbora.
Can get my hands on a.maulbruter is this safe? Does anybody have some experience with this fish?
Have also looked at a.viejita.
Can i have more apistos or is it enought with the two species i already have. :?:

sorry for the english 8)

Neil

Kalle,
I think that it is reasonable to put another species of apisto in that size tank. However, A.sp."Maulbruter" is a fairly aggressive fish. At least the ones that I have had. It is also a very cool fish, both in looks and habits. So the choice is yours. But keep in mind that you already have 2 species from the same group, but different enough to not have too many problems as is. However adding Maulbruter, which is probably within that same grouping, you may have some fireworks.
Viejita is also appropriate, nice looking and a little tamer in the behavior department. The viejita are different than the general types that you have in the tank currently, and therefore do not present a cross-breeding problem. This usually also aids in less aggressiveness towards one another. Fish from the same species-group often scrap quite a bit in their wonderings around a tank. Good luck with your decision. I hope that I helped a little. Neil

K

Kalle

Thanks for the reply, Neil

Think i go for the viejita, i didnt find so much info on the net about the maulbruter. Its safer to get a fish that i know a little more about.(and maybe less fighting in my tank)

Do you know witch group the A.borellii belong to? It wasnt on the list i found.

Neil

Kalle.
I like that choice, but keep sp."maulbruter" in mind under different circumstances. It is a very interesting fish.
About your question, see "A. borellii" as a new posting. Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rileylouie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….