• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

male macmasteri running scared

sheag35

i recently got a wild pair of Macmasteri and set up a 2'x12''x12'' for them they settled in perfectly and the female almost immediately went into breeding dress and started displaying to the male who ran for his life for cover, and she repeatly displays to him and all he does is run for cover... any tips for getting this male into the mood guys, it would be appreciated

Seamus

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I highly recommend playing Barry White's music in the fishroom. You may want to try these songs first...
'You Sexy Thang', 'Cant get enough of your love baby', 'You're the first, the last, my everything'.

After these, you may want to try playing 'Let's get it on'. When all else fails, repeat the above songs by singing along.
Do it for a few days and the magic of Barry White will appear.

sasikan

i think you sexy thing is by the band hot chocolete. as for the A.macmasteri you could try installing a glass divider for a week (i do this sometimes to get angels to get to know each other and after a wile they want to go to the other side) not sure if it will work for Apistos but you never know until you try!

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Just need to separate the male and female for the time being and condition them well. Obviously the male is not interested at the moment. He maybe too young as well if he is smaller.

sheag35

well i had these guys in a tank together with some discus previously and they swam around side by side, i then decorated another tank with sand, leaf litter, plants, coconut caves and bogwood, then the aggression started, i have now added another macmasteri male to see if a) the existing male would get the hint b) the new male would start to spawn, but guess what now i have 2 males running scared.. either she is an evil Bee or ugly as hell in their eyes or too randy for 2 males to handle... any other ideas guys

regani

5 Year Member
are you sure she hasn't spawned already and is now just defending the eggs chasing the male away?
another option to avoid the male copping all the agression and give him a break is to put a small mirror on the side of the tank not too far away from her cave, another female in breeding colors should distract her quite a bit...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….