• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Makondo" Assistance Requested

Randall

5 Year Member
For those of us who have been following the Chromidotilapia sp. "Makondo" (probably Benitochromis sp. "Eseka") thread, there seems to be some confusion concerning not only this West African cichlid's identity, but its method of breeding as well.

In September 2002, I announced this fish's arrival into the US and emailed a brief physical description, collection information and some hastily taken photos to Dr. Anton Lamboj at the University of Vienna. Based on the information furnished, Dr. Lamboj seemed to think that the Makondo, Cameroon, cichlid was Benitochromis sp. "Eseka" but qualified his opinion by asking that in the event a specimen should die, preserve it and send it to him for further study.

In another unrelated communication with him, Dr. Lamboj related that B. sp. "Eseka" is an ovophilic mouthbrooder. This information contradicts Linke & Staeck's assertion of this cichlid's breeding behavior as discussed on page 31 of their book, "African Cichlids I - Cichlids from West Africa," Tetra-Press, 1994, where the authors state: "Chromidotilapia batesii belongs to the larvophile mouthbrooders...." This reference is taken from the section relating to Chromidotilapia batesii color-morph "Eseka."

Although the fish in question has been successfully bred, subsequently, by several Forum members, no one has observed the actual spawning act. Consequently, we hobbyists still don't know if our fish is ovophilic, as Dr. Lamboj states, or larvophilic, as Linke & Staeck state. Knowing how this fish spawns may help to determine if we are working with B. sp. "Eseka" or another, most likely, undescribed Benitochromis species.

I call on all of us who currently keep this fish, and on all who may aspire to do so, to keep both eyes wide open and to share your observations with me and with the Forum. In the event that one of your fish should not make it, please preserve it so that it may be forwarded to Dr. Lamboj for further study.

Thanks all for reading. Your anticipated cooperation is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Sam

5 Year Member
My pair of "Makondo" just spawned shortly after Christmas. I did not actually see them spawn, but the female remained in the nest (flowerpot with slate cave, heavily excavated), with her mouth as if it was full of eggs/wriglers for over a week. The male would guard the territory outside of the nest (half of a six foot tank) as common kribs do. After the fry became freeswimming, one parent will lead them on a foraging tour, while the other guard the perimeter, chasing anything that gets near all the way across the tank. They are the best cichlid parents that I have bred. The male and female will alternate duties every five minutes or so. If there is "danger" (my girlfriend approaching the tank), then the male will take the fry into his mouth, which is larger than the female's. This does not happen often. There are about thirty fry, and they are already about .35" on the microorganisms/algae growing on the wood near the nest. Later at night, as the tank light is off, but the room light on, the "Makondo" will "put the kids to bed" in 6" deep gravel pit in the middle of their territory, and forage for themselves until the room is dark. I hope that this helps give more information on this very cool fish[/b]

Randall

5 Year Member
Spawning the Makondo Cichlid

Dear Sam,

Thanks very much for sharing your spawning account. Next time, please try to see if the eggs are picked up by the parents straight away or if they're deposited and picked up at hatching time. No one seems to know.

Thanks again and congrats!

Randall Kohn

Neil

Believe it or not. I missed it again! :(
My B.sp."Eseka" spawned again (small spawn) in the same tank. There is so much going on in that tank that I saw the female holding but didn't see how soon. They are free-swimming now and are in there with 25 of their brithers and sisters who are now on the side with the Lobe pair a few of their babies. I guess were are going to have to hire a tank watcher! :)
Neil

Sam

5 Year Member
Makondo: Ovophilous?

Two days after removing my the first batch of babies from the tank (the parents seem to lose interest after a month and a half and chase the babies after two months), I noticed that my female's mouth appears to be full of eggs/ fry. The only posibility that I can think of is that this is an ovophilous species that puts the eggs into it's mouth imediately or a few hours after they hatch. My females mouth is still swolen two days later, so I assume that there are fry. I will let you know when they become freeswimming. No, I did not observe the spawning act. They will only spawn in this buried flowerpot that is facing away from the glass, and the spawn seems to have occured while I was at work. I will keep my eyes open.

Randall

5 Year Member
Sam's Makondo Cichlid

Dear Sam,

Thanks very much for your follow up post.

If your female was "holding" again after only two days, that would seem to suggest that this species is ovophilic and not larvophilic.

Please turn your flowerpot so that it faces the glass! A cam linked to a video screen set up in your office wouldn't hurt either. :) (That last bit is a joke).

Thanks again, and please keep us posted.

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….