• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Main Differences between Agassizi Tefe and Sp. Tefe

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Caudal patterns vary from fish to fish & even as they age. Therefore, except for broad generalization, caudal pattern is not a good for identification. It is the dark pigment on the body that are distinctive for each population/species.

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Hi,

My first post in 2007 so let me wish you an happy new year to all of you :)

I watched my fish a little bit more than usually and i've to say this is a very expressive fish with its color.

His body changes a lot, sometimes very darck, sometimes almost steel bright, and sometimes shows that "red wine" pigmentation the last case usually when there is eggs :), and thats actually the case.

Abouth these spawnings, my female does eggs every 12 days !!! All failed until now, but i don't worry about that, they're quite young.

This is the first time i have apistos that are trying to breed so quickly. Is that something i should worry about ? ( i mean too high temperature or something ? )

ProF

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I do not think you have a problem (keep the temperature near 26ºC) - unless your water values are not correct. The true A. sp. Tefé usually needs soft water & pH<5.5. Sometimes all male bother the female too much & she eats the eggs or fry. You might move the male once there are eggs.

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Hi,

I'll probably do so but as far as i saw, from the first day she starts sayin to the male " Hey boy i'll be rady soon" SHE is the one harrassing the other...

She is not that agressive, but she really keeps poking him with mouth and well, you know apistos parades ... i'll put them in a bigger tank soon when she will have eggs i'll separate the male.

they are not my first apistos but its the first time a female seem so stressed héhéhé

Thanks for the advices Mike

ProF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….