• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Madagascar Cichlid Tank

Sam

5 Year Member
I am hoping to set up a 125 gallon Madagascar biotope tank in the near future. I am planning to have Madagascar Rainbows as dithers. I was wondering which cichlids from that region are in the most need of captive breeding efforts. Also, where could I obtain these cichlids? In my area, the only species seen regularly is Paratilapia bleekeri (small spot). Would two pairs work in a 72" x 18" x 24"? Would Paretroplus or "Lamena" work as well? How about Ptychochromis? Would two pairs work? The tank will be set up with fine gravel, tree roots, and rocks and flowerpots forming caves. Some Bolbitus and Anubius will also be tied to a log. Any information that y'all have would be greatly appreciated.

Randall

5 Year Member
Malagasy Cichlids

Dear Sam,

Unfortunately, I don't know very much about Malagasy cichlids but will try to furnish some information with which you can start. Most of what I know is from Dr. Paul Loiselle's presentation at the 2001 ACA Convention.

As far as I know, neither of the two most common Malagasy cichlids are endangered. Both Paratilapia polleni and P. bleekeri are fairly well established in the hobby, to the extent, I suppose, that the hobby embraces Malagasy cichlids. Paretroplus menerambo and P. maculatus, on the other hand, are a different story. From what I understand, P. menerambo may be extinct in its native habitat, and P. maculatus is endangered and in need of extreme hobbyist attention and captive breeding efforts. I think most hobbyists would agree that these two species are the most attractive of the Malagasy cichlids as well.

In their native habitat, they are substrate sifters that eat crustaceans, can be kept in small schools, and can also be housed in a fairly decorated large aquarium with wood, rocks and some sturdy plants. Given their eating habits, the substrate should be sandy.

In addition to Dr. Loiselle, Sonia Guinane has worked extensively with these cichlids and is one of their leading proponents. An artilcle of hers can be found in the July 2001 edition of Cichlid News.

Although much has been written about Malagasy cichlids recently at the scientific level, I don't know of very much hobbyist oriented material. If you did a web search using species names or, perhaps, Sonia Guinane's name, you're bound to come up with something of value.

Sorry I can't be of further assistance to you. Please know that my hat's off to you for wanting to help save endangered cichlid species from extinction.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

coenga

5 Year Member
French written book about madagascar's cichlids

Hi,

If you can read french and that you want to read about madagascar's cichlids and biotope, you might be interested by the brand new book published by the AFC (association france cichlid) and coordinated par J-C Nourrissat and P. de Rham : "Les cichlidés endémiques de Madagascar"

you can read more about it there :

AFC web site :

http://www.francecichlid.com/
http://www.francecichlid.com/parution_mada.htm

Colin

Sam

5 Year Member
Thankyou for the info, I have actually seen P. menarambo at tangled up in cichlids at reasonable prices for juveniles and I am considering purchasing six growouts. Hopefully I will get a pair or two. I will be sure to add live brine and ghost shrimp to their diets, and use sandy substrate. Je parle francais un peu, je vais regarder le website.

Nermal

5 Year Member
Sam,

Pleased to meet you. According to Sonia and others at the "Madfish" forum, the mad cichlids are best kept in groups of six. Your tank size (125 gal) is good. I would recomend that you visit this board as well as the Cichlid Conservation board and forums at fishpost.com. Madfish has excellent info on Madagascar cichlids and the CCWG (cichlid Conservation Working Group) is working towards AZA recognition of hobbyist conservation efforts. If interested in a smaller (dwarf?) Mad cichlid, try keneri, the "calaco" cichlid.

(See link to fishpost below)

Sam

5 Year Member
Madfish

My application to madfish (Damba1980) is pending. I would most like to have six Paretroplus menerambo in the 125.

Nermal

5 Year Member
Sam,

By now you should have been accepted to the madfish group. If not, PM me as I am a member of the group. I will try to see what the holdup is.

Another thing for you to think about. With the size of tank that you have, 125 gallons, you might consider 4-6 of another of the Madagascar cichlids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….