• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Macmasteri or what?

Nain

5 Year Member
macmasteri

As I write this I am seated beside a small 5 1/2 gallon tank in which there are a pair of macmasteri spawning. The males's suborbital cheek stripe is a pale line, while the female's is wide and solid so much so that the eye appears at first glance to be part of the stripe. The male's ventral fins are solid red/orange with tips tending to a pale orange pastel. The female's ventral fins are solidly bordered at the front edge with black almost to the tip of the fin.

Based on my fish in compsarison with your photos, I would say in the upper photo that, that is a male macmasteri at the front, and in the lower photo that is definitely again a male. The ventral fin tips are identical to those on my male.

Marcelo

5 Year Member
Hello Nain,

Thank you! I thought it was a female cause it has the first ray of the dorsal fin completely black, and it is not as colorfull as the other males I have.

Neil

Sub-dominant males often carry many female characteristics to avoid punishment from a dominant male. Black rays on a dorsal fin alone is not the best discriptive issue for judging gender. Recessive color can easily be muted color on a sub-dominant male. You kind of have to look at numerous qualities and it would be helpful to do so after a dominant male is removed for awhile.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….