• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

macmasteri or viejita

apisto-nut

5 Year Member
sold to me as viejita ?
first fish.
P1010010b.jpg

macmasteri ? came in a mixed box of apisto's
second fish.
photo 1
P1010006b.jpg

photo 2
P1010005c-1.jpg

langosh

5 Year Member
apisto. ID

I´ll use this thread, if you don´t mind :wink:

I bought the fish as Apistogramma macmasteri Red mask, but unfortunately I didn´t find much information about the variety. However I tend more and more to the conclusion that my fish is a cross of viejita and macmasteri. I know you discuss this issue a lot here, so I´d appreciate your opinions very much.

Thanx
Roman:)

A1-1.jpg

A2.jpg

Apistt_ed

Based on the height of the fish and extension of the dorsal fin on both fish, they would be A. macmasteri. The serration of the dorsal fin is a dead give-a-way of macmasteri versa viejita. The first fish, doesn't show much of the characteristics of macmasteri, or at least the red-shoulder, but it is a relatively bulky/stocky fish, which is also a way of distinguishing the two species. The red-shoulders is very prominant in the second fish, which would make it most definitely A. macmasteri, or a cross between different closely related species. This fish should be considered an aquarium strain of macmasteri. As for A. viejita, there is controversy about the fish, because I believe that the fish has not been in the hands of many aquarists. The real viejita would be a more slender fish compared to macmasteri and always have a round caudal fin. It's dorsal is less pronounced with extensions if any and show maybe hints of red on the caudal fin but never the striking colors such as most fish sold as viejita II. As a general rule, I've come to accept for myself, chances are, we'll never see the real A. viejita in the trade, but instead very colorful strains of fertile hybrids of a couple of macmasteri-group fish which are more eye-catching and sold as viejita. john

langosh

5 Year Member
Thank you for your responses. Yes they are the same fish - the 1st pic is a little bit PC modified- just to make colours more pop up - it was wrong idea I admit, but I didn´t want to confuse you I swear:) .

Some more photos

The other male - also sold to me as Ap. macmasteri red mask
0009166.jpg

The female
0009004.jpg

Roman:)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is a domestic fish, probably with bloodlines from macs, viejita, & sp. Red-flecked/Rotflecken. I have only seen the true A. viejita once. It is unmistakable once you see is beside a true A. macmasteri.

Watermillman

5 Year Member
Apistt_ed said:
Based on the height of the fish and extension of the dorsal fin on both fish, they would be A. macmasteri. The serration of the dorsal fin is a dead give-a-way of macmasteri versa viejita. The first fish, doesn't show much of the characteristics of macmasteri, or at least the red-shoulder, but it is a relatively bulky/stocky fish, which is also a way of distinguishing the two species. The red-shoulders is very prominant in the second fish, which would make it most definitely A. macmasteri, or a cross between different closely related species. This fish should be considered an aquarium strain of macmasteri. As for A. viejita, there is controversy about the fish, because I believe that the fish has not been in the hands of many aquarists. The real viejita would be a more slender fish compared to macmasteri and always have a round caudal fin. It's dorsal is less pronounced with extensions if any and show maybe hints of red on the caudal fin but never the striking colors such as most fish sold as viejita II. As a general rule, I've come to accept for myself, chances are, we'll never see the real A. viejita in the trade, but instead very colorful strains of fertile hybrids of a couple of macmasteri-group fish which are more eye-catching and sold as viejita. john

Sure, it´s truth. By us in Czech republic spawned these fishes too much breeders, who don´t interesting for any systematic. They made it (I think) - both species together and don´t looking on detail between fins and colours.
In present age have originaly macmasteri only few breeders by us. I was search too much years, where is truth, ´till I´m found perfect macmasteri and can level out them then in tanks near themselves.

Jan

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jan,

It is not only the Czech breeders. The same occurred in the US, Asia & other European countries. Now 'pure' A. viejita is very rare in the hobby. Wild A. macmasteri seem to be more common.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is hard to say from this 1 photo. Every true A. viejita seen so far has had a red border on the dorsal fin and a round tail without caudal extensions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….