• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Macmasteri or Viejita ?

Diogo Vaz da Silva

Hello guys

I'm Portuguese and lover apistogrammas.

I have a doubt about a male who bought days will

I bought being a macmasteri but is it really?

IMG_4410_zps6e5d4117.jpg

IMG_4419_zpsde3e79b9.jpg

Respects

gerald

5 Year Member
The confusion came from publishing pictures of macmasteri with the name "viejita" in German cichlid hobbyist books in the 80's - early 90's. Once the wrong name gets popularized in the hobby, it usually sticks as a trade name long after the scientists have abandoned it. Look how long we've been calling P. pulcher "kribensis" which it isn't.

raymond82

Thanks for clarifying that Gerald! I guess it happens all the time, that old names stick around for too long but I do think that whole sellers and shops should know better. All I'm hoping is that the real viejita will become available, it looks like such a nice fish!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….