• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Macmasteri Apistogramma female chasing male

Andreas

Hello everyone
My female mac is chasing my male after I did a waterchange and fed some frozen food. Is it agression.

On a side note, how likely are the macs to jump?

MacZ

Yes she is.
That means she is in breeding mode and the fact she chases the male can also mean she already laid eggs. That's when tables turn - As long as a female isn't ready to spawn the male chases here relentlessly. When there are eggs or fry she chases the male away.

Is the tank suffciently structured? If not this might become the standard situation for separating the fish. You would then have to take out the male until the female is done with brood care.

Is breeding even your goal? And what tank size are we talking? (dimensions in cm please, not volume)

Andreas

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes the tank is well structure with one cave I made with hardscape and my coconut is still drying to put it in. My idea was to try breeding once but not neccasarily with the highest survival rates to sell just to try breeding apistos as this would be my first time breeding apistos. It is a 70 by 40 by 30 species only tank with only one female.

Another question. How do you guys prepare coconut shells for tank use as i have seen a lot of people using it.

MacZ

Yes the tank is well structure with one cave I made with hardscape
Caves are only relevant for breeding. Have you cut the lines of sight so the fish can't see each other at the other end of the tank?

How do you guys prepare coconut shells for tank use as i have seen a lot of people using it.
Can't help you there, sorry. I don't use coconut shells.

anewbie

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes the tank is well structure with one cave I made with hardscape and my coconut is still drying to put it in. My idea was to try breeding once but not neccasarily with the highest survival rates to sell just to try breeding apistos as this would be my first time breeding apistos. It is a 70 by 40 by 30 species only tank with only one female.

Another question. How do you guys prepare coconut shells for tank use as i have seen a lot of people using it.
Rather than state it is suitably structure you should post a picture. Also how large is the tank? A 20 long is much better than a 5.... for this sort of situation.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
.......... Another question. How do you guys prepare coconut shells for tank use as i have seen a lot of people using it.....
Rub all the fibres from the shell. Cut it in half with a fine blade saw (the shells are very hard). You will need a vice or similar.

Make sure all the coconut flesh is removed from the nut, then cut a v shaped not in the rim. The notch should be smaller than you think you need.

Smooth all the edges with a file, including the notch. Place in the tank.

Cheers Darrel

anewbie

or be wimpy and buy them for a couple of
Hi all,

Rub all the fibres from the shell. Cut it in half with a fine blade saw (the shells are very hard). You will need a vice or similar.

Make sure all the coconut flesh is removed from the nut, then cut a v shaped not in the rim. The notch should be smaller than you think you need.

Smooth all the edges with a file, including the notch. Place in the tank.

Cheers Darrel
or be wimpy and buy them for a couple of dollars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….