• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for some specific colored kribs

red kribensis

5 Year Member
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of anyone that has any of this color strain of kribensis and would be willing to sell me some... The females have a very bright red belly surrounded by black with a very light almost white colored dorsal fin and black spots. The males look mostly the same with longer fins and lots of spots on the tail and dorsal fin. I have been searching for a while now and they seem to be pretty rare or at least it seems that way. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, logan

red kribensis

5 Year Member
hey yeah I have been keeping an eye out on aquabid for a couple years now.. I have some pics of the kind I am looking for but haven't figured out how to put them on here yet.. Thank you for the wonderful suggestion anything helps...

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The color patterns in P. pulcher are highly variable, even within a single fish... especially the females! There have been some interesting strains selected for, especially with regards to ocelli spots in the dorsal and caudal fin. Caudal and dorsal ocelli are actually pretty rare in wild kribs. Mike Wise showed me a picture of a male P. pulcher that was the result of several generations of selective breeding. That fish had SIX caudal ocelli all in a neat row. Truly amazing.

My tank-strain females have the white dorsal unless they are spawning, then it becomes yellow. That is in contrast to my wild females that are yellow all the time. I think you may already have some of my fish though. :)

red kribensis

5 Year Member
hey ted,
yes I do have some of yours and they are very nice! Still on the lookout for more interesting ones. I have had some amazing fish in the past and once u have a line of those its wierd but very rarely do you see anything that measures up to them. I have had a few since then but they all died from a disease that at the time I had a hard time figuring out. It seems that the ones I am looking for I am afraid only come from fish keepers that have been breeding a line for years or get lucky and come across a few somewhere. I hope I get lucky again or find someone that has been breeding for years and is willing to sell some. Thanks ted again for the nice kribs.... :)

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Posting pics of what you want will definitely help. Either upload it to a host like photobucket or email it to me and I will host it.

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Here are the pics Logan sent me:

pelvicachromis_pulcher2.jpg

pelvicachromis_pulcher.jpg

FWF_0004466_20021206081523x.jpg

P-pulcher-male-icon.jpg

red kribensis

5 Year Member
hey thanks rahul for posting those for me... these pics are the kribs I am desperately searching for. If anyone has any info for me on where I can find some please let me know. Thanks all!

LindaMC

5 Year Member
Does it matter where you purchase your Kribs from as far as breeding goes? In other words, I finally was able to purchase two males to go along with the 3 females I already had. They are two male red kribs from the breeder who was selling them on Aquabid. The females that I already had look very similar to Logan's photos above and I was wondering if there is a chance of them breeding where they aren't from the same strain? I have three different caves in my tank, however, they don't seem to be courting at all, in fact, the two males seem to hand together and so do the three females.

Any advice on what I can do to initiate spawning? I have three different caves in my tank.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Any advice on what I can do to initiate spawning? I have three different caves in my tank.

Are they all P. Pulcher, some of the other Pelvicachromis look quite similar and could mistaken. The other thing is what are your water perameters and temperature at?

LindaMC

5 Year Member
The male and one of the females have finally started courting and they have teamed up together to chase the other two females all over the tank.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….