• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for a camera

georgedv

5 Year Member
There is a good chance my boss (wife) feels that it might be time to replace our 10 yr old kodak camera. So what we (I that is) need is one that can take good "family" type pictures (you know family stuff/events) But , if price difference is logical, I want to try to talk my boss (wife) into something that will "last longer". We (I that is), will also like to get one that can change lenses to take pictures of our pets (my fish that is).

Also, the camera needs to be able to record movies.

I have read most of the threads here but I am looking for more up to date input. and with all of you so involved with your "family" pets and taking such great photos, I decided here is a good place to start.

My boss looks foreward to any input.....thanks
g

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
One thing I find important for taking quality photos of fish is a camera that can use an off-camera flash (not attached to the camera itself). This means that most inexpensive 'point & shoot' cameras are out. You will want something with a hot shoe. Removable lenses are certainly a plus, but not absolutely necessary if the camera has a decent macro mode. My suggestion is to look into one of the many DSLRs (digital single lens reflex) or MILCs (mirrorless interchangeable lens) cameras. Most newer models can also do videos as well as photos. Which brand? All make good cameras. Sensor size? It depends on noise-to-ISO speeds you feel acceptable. DSLR vs. MILC? It again depends on your personal preference. I will say that DSLRs have much shorter 'time-lags' between tripping the shutter button and the actual taking of the picture than MILCs, but it is getting better all of the time.

animalmgc

5 Year Member
I've always been a big fan of nikon since my days of school at the art institute of chicago expensive camera but quality photos .Canon most people wil tell u is a good camera for aquarium photos.I'm currently under the bosses(wifes) thumb and haven't stepped up to a dslr I've been shooting with a nikon compact s8100 and my newer version nikon s9300.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
g, as I said before all of the present manufacturers make quality cameras. None are heads above the others. Well, Leica, maybe, but $20,000? Nikon, Sony, and Pentax, for example, all use the same photo sensors made by Sony. What you are buying is the build quality, user interface, ergonomics, support - and name recognition (which is worth nothing IMHO). When it comes to lenses, all make some excellent quality lenses - and some real dogs, too. Base your purchase on what you feel you want/need/can afford and not the name plate.

animalmgc

5 Year Member
Leica actually makes lenses for some sony cameras yea the name is just that a name do ur research even visit ur local camera shop they're usually more than willing to talk camera w u even if u don't buy from them

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
FYI, most of Sony's & Panasonic's 'Leica' lenses (and Zeiss Contax lenses, too) are manufactured under license by Cosina in Japan. Nothing wrong with this. Cosina has made some of the best lenses in existence; their Voigtländer (again, under license) 125mm f/2.5 SL Macro Apo Lanthar is legendary. If you want one now expect to pay 2-3X as much for a used lens than when new, for many camera systems. Their other Voigtländer licensed lenses are in the same ballpark. One word of warning about camera stores. Most sale people work on commission and both Canon and Nikon offer additional compensation (spiffs) for each item of theirs sold. Therefore expect them to 'push' certain brands and models. Do your homework online and then go to a store with some knowledge.

animalmgc

5 Year Member
my nikon s9300 I picked up online for 200 The basic price in San Diego was 279.00.I'm researching other dslrs since I really don't have any nikon acc and haven't picked up a nikon dslr cause of the price any feedback u have would be greatly appreciated

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You'll notice I didn't recommend any specific brand. Cameras are a personal thing. Like cars, everyone has a personal preference. You couldn't trade me any new pick-up truck for my beloved 1965 Ford 1/2 ton Ranger (Lee Iacocca's 'muscle truck' that came out at the same time as the Mustang: 352 cu. in. T-bird engine, 4-on-floor tranny, positraction, custom (Mustang-like) dash, and Mustang bucket seats). If you like Nikon, I would suggest that you look at the older Nikon D90. For the price it has many more features than the equivalently priced (and newer) D5100. The D3200 is what it is - a beginner's DSLR with many 'compromises'. It is designed to get you into Nikon with the hopes that you progress to needing an upgrade. Most brands do the same thing. One other thing to think about is lenses. Lenses will last much longer than cameras. Compare costs vs. quality. When deciding on a brand, cameras may be inexpensive, but the lenses may be expensive.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Well I have brought it down to two...the Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 megapixel DSLR w/18-55mm lens and the Nikon D3200 24.2 megapix DSLR 18-55mm lense. Should I look for a different lense? What are your opinions/experiences...etc on these models?
I still have not gotten the $$$$ approved yet with the boss...but I think it wuill be close.

Shopping for this has been exhausting...to much info and hard to translate into what I can understand at this time. Since this is going to be what we will use for a very long time, I just want to get the most for the buck. I am not a prof photographer, but I would like to take nice family and FISH PICTURES.

Again thanks to all for the input.

george

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I, personally, am not a big fan of Canon's entry level cameras, but the T3i is a very good camera. It is much more versatile, having more features than the entry level D3200. A prime example is that the T3i can use any 'EF or ES' lens made by Canon. The same can't be said for the D3200 and Nikon lenses. The 'kit 18-55mm' lenses are not bad, but not the best either brand makes. For starting out they're fine. Once you find that you need something better (probably some years down the road) you can always upgrade to an intermediate or professional level lens(es). You won't be out much money either, since they virtually give away these lenses. One thing I want to impress on you. Don't base your choice mostly on the number of megapixels on the camera's sensor. 10-12 mp are sufficient for most 8x10" photos, 6 mp for photos on computer screens. Your eyes can only resolve about 300 dot/inch at a typical viewing distance, so unless you plan to print mural-size photos, 16-18 mp is more than sufficient. Make your choice more on how easy it is to handle and operate the camera. Good luck. I know what you mean by confusing information. Fortunately I've been a camera buff since the 60s.

duane stuermer

5 Year Member
I use a Rebel, the pic below is one of the first pics I took with it, using the standard lens that came with the camera, maybe 5 years ago
interhaits002-2.jpg

Not long ago I picked up a macro ring, to see whether I should upgrade, the images are a bit softer
024-2.jpg

A few weeks ago I broke the original lens, and picked up one with image stabilization, good for me, because I starting to get that old man old man quiver.
058.jpg

I must say, a lot has to do with how clean both sides of the glass are, and tank lighting.
Neither of which is my strong suit.

duane stuermer

5 Year Member
One inexpensive added piece to get, is one of those photo thumb drives (<$20), after a day of shooting, you put you memory card in it to download to your computer, and can erase the pics after they're downloaded. This saves valuable battery usage.
The Rebel also can take reasonable non fish (sort of) pics.
105.jpg

georgedv

5 Year Member
Got it now just waiting for the memory card. It looks and feels fantastic. Now lets see what the operator is capable of.
george

Ekona

5 Year Member
I got a Nikon p150 I am testing out. I tried the Canon T3i a while back and it gave good fish photos, but the price was too high for my hobby interests. The Nikon is about half the price, easy to use (even I could figure it out) and yields what look to me to be pretty good photos.

Two photos without any post processing.

This image of a male A. sp. Tefe has an auto ISO setting
TefeMaleRaw_zpsee4a99ae.jpg

This image of a female A. sp. Tefe has an 800 ISO setting
FemaleTefe_zps759a44b6.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….