• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Long time fish lover finally on here

Jatoecha

Hey guys, I recently got some apistogrammas and they seem to be really happy in their paludarium. I thought I'd come here to meet more fans of these fish (and maybe pick up some tips and tricks).
PXL_20240602_152116774.MP.jpg

Jatoecha

which species of apistogramma did you put in there ?
According to the fish store they where viejita but from what i read there is a small chance they actually are. il definitely take some pictures but because of all the leaf litter and hiding spaces I don't see them all the time

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I have been running a hybrid paludarium/aquarium for 2 years. Mine is simpler and smaller than yours. I have the frame of a breeding net acting as a stand for a sandwich container in which I/m growing a couple of Sundew plants species, Drosera spatlularia and D. nidiformis. I've been considering evicting my Betta coccina and replacing them with a pair of Apistogramma or even Dicrossus filamentosus. I have 8 Nannostomus eques and 6 Rineloricaria sp. "red lizard" in the tank.
It is only a 20 gal long so I would be pushing my luck territorially speaking
1717442949801.png

1717443016356.png

Jatoecha

I have been running a hybrid paludarium/aquarium for 2 years. Mine is simpler and smaller than yours. I have the frame of a breeding net acting as a stand for a sandwich container in which I/m growing a couple of Sundew plants species, Drosera spatlularia and D. nidiformis. I've been considering evicting my Betta coccina and replacing them with a pair of Apistogramma or even Dicrossus filamentosus. I have 8 Nannostomus eques and 6 Rineloricaria sp. "red lizard" in the tank.
It is only a 20 gal long so I would be pushing my luck territorially speaking
View attachment 14796
View attachment 14797
Looks very nice i feel the fish really enjoy it, i got a picture of my fish but its awfull haha the smaller glass doenst help taking the picture. i wonder if more ppl are running a paladarium kind of setup :)

Attachments

• PXL_20240603_163933152_exported_1717443595364.jpg
    PXL_20240603_163933152_exported_1717443595364.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Worldwide I think there are many people keeping paludariums of various designs but when we try to keeping aquatic and semiaquatic animals it begins to get complicated. I've never kept any Apistogramma from the McMasteri complex but I don't see why they wouldn't do well in your setup. In fact I bet they thrive but if you haven't already, I would recommend a sprinkling of fine quartz sand on the bottom.
I'm adding fine quartz sand to mine later this week and already use Cattapa leaves routinely. I did a 2/3 water change last week and my Crypts deliquesced on me. I refilled the water with pure RO/DI water and that change was too great. They'll bounce back...eventually. On the plus side after that large RO water change I caught my N. eques spawning several times. They were inverted underneath a Cryptocoryne leaves. First time I've ever seen that species spawning in my aquariums in over 50 years in the hobby.

Jatoecha

Worldwide I think there are many people keeping paludariums of various designs but when we try to keeping aquatic and semiaquatic animals it begins to get complicated. I've never kept any Apistogramma from the McMasteri complex but I don't see why they wouldn't do well in your setup. In fact I bet they thrive but if you haven't already, I would recommend a sprinkling of fine quartz sand on the bottom.
I'm adding fine quartz sand to mine later this week and already use Cattapa leaves routinely. I did a 2/3 water change last week and my Crypts deliquesced on me. I refilled the water with pure RO/DI water and that change was too great. They'll bounce back...eventually. On the plus side after that large RO water change I caught my N. eques spawning several times. They were inverted underneath a Cryptocoryne leaves. First time I've ever seen that species spawning in my aquariums in over 50 years in the hobby.
i agree world wide there are prob many would be nice if they kept Apistogrammas in them :p luckily there are many leaves from plants in the water, il definitely add some sand in some parts i already have some dark stuff but some white might be nice. other fun fact it seems my apistogrammas love the rain they go nuts haha such fun behavior

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
i agree world wide there are prob many would be nice if they kept Apistogrammas in them :p luckily there are many leaves from plants in the water, il definitely add some sand in some parts i already have some dark stuff but some white might be nice. other fun fact it seems my apistogrammas love the rain they go nuts haha such fun behavior
You get to see different behavior in a paludarium. I never saw Nannostomus eques jumping clear out the water before to pick off every live brine shrimp nauplii left behind on the glass where I had allowed them to trickle down from an eyedropper. I did a double take on that but now I do it on purpose for the entertainment value.
I think any find sand they find will satisfy the Apistogramma habit of sifting through the sand

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zola23

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(