• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

long dorsal rays on cacatuoides female

ErtyJr

Someone who bought some of my Apisto cacatuoides fry from me recently messaged me asking for an identification of the sex of this cacatuoides female. I have never seen anything like it, the first 3 rays are very long and she is only about 5 or 6 months old tops.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1422905535462.jpg
    FB_IMG_1422905535462.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 376
  • FB_IMG_1422905571244.jpg
    FB_IMG_1422905571244.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 366

gerald

5 Year Member
Looks a bit gender-confused: female color and male fins. It's fairly common for older females (2+ yrs) to get male-like characteristics, but I haven't seen that in young ones. Domestication can do funny things to a fish. Anyway if it lays eggs it's a female ... for now at least. Dwarflover had one actually change sex (had fry as a female, changed sex, then successfully fertilized another female's eggs). Photos are on here somwhere - about a year ago i think.

ErtyJr

Looks a bit gender-confused: female color and male fins. It's fairly common for older females (2+ yrs) to get male-like characteristics, but I haven't seen that in young ones. Domestication can do funny things to a fish. Anyway if it lays eggs it's a female ... for now at least. Dwarflover had one actually change sex (had fry as a female, changed sex, then successfully fertilized another female's eggs). Photos are on here somwhere - about a year ago i think.

Yup I was around when he had the female change. It looks extremely female to me, I have never seen the black stripe in the pelvic fins in anything but a female. And I have my doubts to it being male because it has never been introduced to a male ever, sneaker males are usually the results of being a sub dominate male and being bullied.

I'm thinking she is a female, and looks this way because of 1 of 2 possibilities.

1) she is the "alpha" female of the group and has grown extended rays as a result.

2) she is changing to male to fill a role that needs to be filled in this tank.

Or of course there is 3, the female just has the genes for extended dorsal rays Because of domestic breeding. I have bred my fish for finnage before color and she is one of my fry so it is possible.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
What I don't think they can mimic though is the black in the pelvic/ventral fins

To some extent they can - enough to fool an aquarist. Females of red strains of A. cacatuoides have developed so many masculine features that it's often hard to properly sex them. I know I have problems at times.

ErtyJr

To some extent they can - enough to fool an aquarist. Females of red strains of A. cacatuoides have developed so many masculine features that it's often hard to properly sex them. I know I have problems at times.

I suppose they likely can, especially with the quadruple red becoming more prominent. I just have never come across a sneaker male with that very prominent black stripe in the ventral fins, and I would guess that the feature is still a fairly accurate way to sex. Just not fool proof. However I have also seen females that don't have it as well and instead have the red/black checkering.

When you start dealing with tank strains though, in almost any species of fish, sexing the fish becomes very difficult.

I actually wanted to say all this the first time I posted, but I was busy at work and took a lazier approach. >.<

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….