• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Live from the Amazon jungle: First catches in 2010

animalmgc

5 Year Member
biting flies

man I know your pain.One year I happened in the everglades during rainy season and the mosquitoes were herendous.In the morning you could scoop coffee cans full from the showers.One nite a raccoon tore a hole in the side of our tent needless to say not alot of sleep that nite.We were pretty much depending on our bikes we had boxed up and Greyhound so ecscape was not an option,It sounds like you're having a good time though as we did at the time collecting different species of butterflies

Tom C

5 Year Member
Finally, a little challenge for you. What species do you think this is ?

resizeimage.aspx

(No, it's not A. cf. eunotus, nor A. sp. Masken, nor A. sp. Schwarzbrust)

Nobody wants to try?

Looking at the map, and showing what's inside the red square:

resizeimage.aspx

We have this:

resizeimage.aspx

The area marked red is where the fish was collected

In other words; the fish is found in Peru, in southern (right) tributaries to the Rio Amazonas, between Pebas in Peru and Leticia in Colombia, in the area between San Pablo de Loreto and Mayoruna.

Here is the female (yes I know, she doesn't show many black markings here!)

resizeimage.aspx

Erik82

5 Year Member
First guess would be cf eunotus, but it is not that one like you said. Maybe sp winkelfleck? Though i can't see the dark vertical bars on the flank of the fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A new regani-complex form/species is my guess. For now I'd call it A. cf. sp. Masken (Mayoruna), or something like that. It fits in nicely with A. sp. Masken around Iquitos, Peru and the A. cf. sp. Masken (Juruá) that Heiko Bleher found near Eirunepé, Brazil on the middle Rio Juruá.

Have a safe trip home along with your fish, of course!

Tom C

5 Year Member
These were collected in the Rio Pucacuro drainage, a northern (left) tributary of Rio Tigre, quite a few hours upstreams of Intuto.

I have no idea what they are (I see some similarities within the Regani-group, of course)

These pictures, photographed in situ, are so far the only ones I have of them.
Will take more as soon as they have settled down properly.

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that Jose is correct. They have the dark markings of A. sp. Masken, but not the red head markings. They could possibly be the same population as Römer's "A. sp. Peru-regani", which I believe is only a less colorful form of A. sp. Masken. Let us wait for better photos to be certain.

Microman

5 Year Member
Both Tom and i thought these might have been a less colourful population of A.sp.Masken but when you see them in the flesh theres something slightly different about them.
I dont have these fish to look at now but i cannot remember seeing the highly irridescent rows of scales above the lateral line as in Romers "Peru Regani" males.
If they are the said fish i will rue not taking some home with me but your boxes can only hold so much.
Will be very interesting to see more if Tom is able to put pics up when they settle.
Mark....

Tom C

5 Year Member
I think that Jose is correct. They have the dark markings of A. sp. Masken, but not the red head markings. They could possibly be the same population as Römer's "A. sp. Peru-regani", which I believe is only a less colorful form of A. sp. Masken. Let us wait for better photos to be certain.

Yes, A. sp. "Masken" was our first guess, too. But the habitat is quite far away from where this species has been found earlier.

Do you think that the distribution of this species could follow the northern shores of the Acre-system, 7-11 mill. years ago, Mike?

3249.jpg

Source: "Amazonaia: Landscape and species evolution. A look into the past" (C. Horn and F.P. Wesselingh)
http://www.wiley.com/go/hoorn/amazonia

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is hard to say when or how the regani-complex entered the western Amazon Basin. Together with the cruzi-subcomplex, they seem to have appeared on the Napo megafan fairly early, probably even before it formed. If A. acrensis is a regani-complex species (I think it is), then it and A. cf. sp. Masken (Juruá) indicate an early migration along the southern part of the paleo-Amazon-0rinoco system. Right now I believe they arrived together with the eunotus-complex and nijsseni-group (don't know where the nijsseni-group originated!) as early as 14 million years ago (early Miocene Epoch).

This is all probably 'Greek' to everyone but Tom and I, unless you've read the book "Amazonia: Landscape and species evolution -A look into the past".

Tom C

5 Year Member
......Right now I believe they arrived together with the eunotus-complex and nijsseni-group (don't know where the nijsseni-group originated!) as early as 14 million years ago (early Miocene Epoch).......

Wow - that early!
Then we are talking about an epoch where the Pebas-system was dominating the Amazonia:

4212.jpg

Source: "Amazonaia: Landscape and species evolution. A look into the past" (C. Horn and F.P. Wesselingh)
http://www.wiley.com/go/hoorn/amazonia

A couple of pictures today from the A. sp. "Masken"-like Rio Tigre fish:

4207.jpg

4208.jpg

4209.jpg

4210.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Tom, I think that it is possibly that early. Also note that the (Lago) Pebas system most likely wasn't an open body of water. It was more likely similar to the Everglades of Florida - a large swamp with water channels running through it.

Based on the new photos, the fish looks like a population of A. sp. Masken to me. The caudal spot seems slightly smaller than that on the Río Nanay form however.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Yes, and considering that the water in the Pebas system drained out in the sea at the (northern) top of the continent AND at the west coast, the system was obviously quite different from what we know today.

I agree with your ID, Mike.

This is a normal A. sp. "Masken", collected in the Rio Nanay drainage (30 km east of Nauta) in October 2010 .

resizeimage.aspx

Compared to this one; the "new" Rio Tigre population's blue spots in the face are different, and the caudal spot seems to be both smaller AND slightly different in shape.
I really look forward to see what they will look like when reaching adult size.

Should we just call the new population A. sp. "Masken" (Rio Tigre), or should we add a "cf." ?
Anyway, let's hope these two populations never get mixed.
-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….