• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Limbochromis robertsi

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I spotted a tiny group of free-swimming F1 robertsi in a 40G breeder tank a couple of days ago. The next day the group was down to four and I decided to isolate them. When trying to isolate them, I lost track of one but caught three. This is a rare species and I'd like to raise as many as possible, even if it has to wait until they spawn again. Any advice would be appreciated.

If I recall correctly, Anton Lamboj published a paper in Cichlid News a little while back, suggesting that the really tricky part is to get F1s to spawn. True?

Thanks in advance!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Congrats Janos! How many adults are in the 40 breeder?

I got in 4 pair of L. robertsi a few weeks ago and they are nice fish. This is the first time I've ever had them. Any advice on the water chemistry to set them up in when I pull out a pair or two?

It wouldn't surprise me if having the F1 fish spawn is a greater challenge. This seems to be true with many of the West African cichlids. And I wish I knew why!

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Thanks Jeff. I keep a trio in the tank plus a coupe of Nanochromis parilus as dithers. I leraned my first esson today: pulling the fre swimmers at a young age is a stupid thing to do. The three that I pulled were dead tjis morning, while the one that escaped was happily swimiming alongside mom. Dad is a bit of a jerk, challenging his mate, while courting the other female. For the time being, I will not mess with the tank and hope they'll spawn again, hopefully producing more than just five free swimmers.

As forthe water chemistry: I am using 100% RO water in the tank, although I was reading in a species profile In another forum that they can be kept in hard water.

I have yet to look for that robertsi issue of Cichlid News.

Janos

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….