• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Let's see your cacatu's.....

krudolph

How about posting some pics of your cacatu? Here is one I took tonight.
IMG_3339.JPG

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
This was my first cacatuoides male, I chose him from a local shop (Old Forge Tropicals in Devizes) because he was a nice shape.
composite.jpg

I bred cacatuoides through 5 or 6 generations, although I got another male (an "Orange Flash") and some unrelated females (although all probably "Double Red" and with a limited genetic base), and they remained healthy through out (had a couple with bent spines and one "balloon" female out of several hundred fish).

I found the males don't live very long (mine averaged about 2 years, my oldest female made 4 years old). I selected for good body shape, healthiness and fin extension, rather than just colour, in the replacement males I kept.

I could have line bred much more colourful males and I also had several males with yellow chequered caudal fins (influence of the Orange Flash male?) I didn't have any males without caudal fin chequering, and I've subsequently found that is the dominant gene ("Flash" fish are double recessive for chequering).

cheers Darrel

Dano1311

Quick question but off topic but my male had a fight with his female when she spawned, resulted in him loosing some of his tail finnage, it has since grown back in past couple of weeks, but has no colour to it, will he gain colour again as its in the middle of his tails so ruins it abit. :(

abrooks12376

Quick question but off topic but my male had a fight with his female when she spawned, resulted in him loosing some of his tail finnage, it has since grown back in past couple of weeks, but has no colour to it, will he gain colour again as its in the middle of his tails so ruins it abit. :(
Mine lost some of his tail too, it grew back but not much color has returned.

ErtyJr

Wow peter! Is that last male truly as yellow as the picture makes him look? There is two things i have wanted to selectively bred. I wanted to work towards a triple yellow, a lot like your last pic looks, and a blue male. Preferably with the black checkering, but I have never seen any cacatuoides with blue color and black checkering so it's likely not possible. The blue seems to come in where the checkering is not.

Oh and before I forget, here is my male
6rZNbCn.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….