• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leaf Litter

vail94

5 Year Member
I have an english walnut tree that has large leaves that i think would make good leaf litter. Has anyone used them before? Do you have to dry them first? Is there problem with using leaves other than oak? Thanks for any insight into this question.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Walnut trees prefer acid soil, so the leaves & even the husks around the walnuts could be used acidify water. Make sure the leaves fell off the tree first before using. You might want to test water 'steeped' in this before using it on special fish.

Sir Sauce

5 Year Member
Walnut tree toxicity

I don't have any experience with English walnut trees and fish, but I know that black walnuts release juglone(?), a substance they release to repel other plants. I was unable to grow many varieties of very hardy annuals and perrenials anywhere near the monster. I have even read to not use the leaves for composting as it is pretty powerful stuff. Again, I have no idea what an English walnut leaf may do to fish or if it even contains the toxin. If black walnut leaves were safe I would almost regret cutting down the 40 ft. bomb dropper. Almost. Ever get hit in the head with a husk on walnut from 4 stories that stains the hell out of anything it touches? You haven't lived.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….