• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laguna Larga, Los Lagos rivers complex, Bolivia

kgazos

My main source of information and inspiration was the expedition and the publications of Dr. Stefan Karl Hetz. I am grateful for the content he shared on his site: https://native-fish.org/de/allpages/bolivialoslagos .
Substrate: Sand 0,4-1,2mm mixed with clay and peat. Partially river sand 0,8-1,2mm.
Water parameters in aquarium: pH 6.6
Temperature varies from 26.5°C in the day to 24°C in the night.
Water hardness: dkH: 2, gH:5
Water clarity: Clear with little particles from the fallen branch
Live fish:
42 x Aphyocharax Rathbuni
10 x Nannostomus Trifasciatus
18 x Carnegiella Marthae
5 x Apistogramma Trifasciata
Vegetation:
Philodendron, fern (overhanging vegetation)
Helanthium Bolivianum
Bacopa monnieri
Ceratophyllum Demersum
Sagittaria Subulata
Limnobium Laevigatum
Salvinia natans
Driftwood and roots in shape and color similar to those found in the natural biotope. It was collected from the forest. Botanicals: A whole branch of Magnolia with leaves. Also 3 x Magnolia pods and 3 other different types of pods. All those trees grow in the area and it’s a common occurrence that the pods and seeds end up in the lakes/ streams.
Any tips, corrections or other knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• _MG_8526.JPG
    _MG_8526.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 239
  • _MG_8384.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 173
  • _MG_8420.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 162
  • _MG_8431.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 155
  • _MG_8469.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 150
  • _MG_8353.jpg
    _MG_8353.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 244
  • _MG_8420.jpg
    _MG_8420.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 233
  • _MG_8431.jpg
    _MG_8431.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 246
  • _MG_8469.jpg
    _MG_8469.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 250
  • _MG_8482.jpg
    _MG_8482.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 248
  • _MG_8529.JPG
    _MG_8529.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
  • _MG_8384.jpg
    _MG_8384.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 245

kgazos

Nicely done. An overview of the whole tank would be great. :)
Thank you!
Overview, if you mean as a text explaining thorougly my setup it's not yet finished but I will write more information about the biotope I am exactly replicating soon.
Overview as a picture of the whole tank I havent taken the perfect 10 out of 10 yet. I will try again tomorrow, still experimenting with the best, most natural looking, lighting.

MacZ

I meant a picture. I would consider your text an overview already. Any additional text would be in depth already, I think.

kgazos

That thank is absolutely insane! I also vote for a bigger picture.
Thank you very much!

I will try my best and upload one today. I have a great video showcasing all of the tank but unfortunately it's too many MBs to post here.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Tank looks great.
Live fish:
42 x Aphyocharax Rathbuni
10 x Nannostomus Trifasciatus
18 x Carnegiella Marthae
5 x Apistogramma Trifasciata
How large a tank is it? As you've probably found out by now, male A. trifasciata don't like one another.

cheers Darrel

kgazos

Hi all,
Tank looks great.

How large a tank is it? As you've probably found out by now, male A. trifasciata don't like one another.

cheers Darrel
Thank you! It measures (in cm) 130l x 55w x 70h which is approximately 500 litres. Yes I found out that pretty quickly. When they are displaying to the females and at the same time to each other it’s a sight to see! There are plenty of hiding spaces, everybody is eating well and there are no nipped fins so I am lucky that it worked out for me so well.
Also here are the front and side views of the tank. I am working on the transition from the leaf litter to the bunch of Bacopa monnieri and Helianthum bolivianum carpet, I think it can get better, more natural looking.

Attachments

• 3944FF87-7D60-43E9-BC4F-2C3FDF710875.jpeg
    3944FF87-7D60-43E9-BC4F-2C3FDF710875.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 246
  • 7D6620E3-EA44-416F-80A3-E1D020A5A1A4.jpeg
    7D6620E3-EA44-416F-80A3-E1D020A5A1A4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 237

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

I would keep the leaf litter bed. To me, that´s the more natural look.
But either way, you have a beautiful tank.

MacZ

Really a beautiful tank!

I would also leave the leaves. BUT: The thickness of the sand substrate on that side is... that may bite you in the behind. I'd probably reduce the layer to prevent foulness under the leave litter.

kgazos

Thank you for your kind words! I never intended on removing the leaf bed, just maybe some tweaks on the plants. I try to ruffle the sand on the hill side of the tank. Maybe I will change it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….