• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara thayeri

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Hi,

Who ever maintain this species ?
what is the difficulties about L. thayeri (after founding them :) )?

and last question and not the smallest ,
where can i found this beauty ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
L. thayeri is not hard to keep or breed, about the same as A. bitaeniata. Finding them is the problem. They rarely are imported (not the most beautiful fish, so not commercially popular). I have seen them for sale in Denver only once in the past 15 years! Denver, however, isn't a hot bed of cichlid diversity.

laetacara1

5 Year Member
Here in the San Francisco area we have seen L. Thayeri three different times (in three different stores) in the past four years. I recall two of the three times they were actually labelled as "curviceps" in the store, whereas the other store actually it labeled L. thayeri. Stores tend to have a hard time moving them because they don't color up like curviceps or dorsigera. There's one store that had one several years ago (the one which labeled it "L. thayeri", and I wouldn't be surprised if it's still there now. I kind of like to say "hi" to that fish whenever I visit that particular store.

P.W.

5 Year Member
I have a couple of L.Thayeri in my 550 liter tank. They are doing fine together with a gang of C. Marooni and some Ap. Resticulosa.

Its a quite shy and a bit "jumpy" species. I would say that a heavy planted tank and a lot of peaceful companions is the best way of keeping them. Otherwise they will spend most of their time hiding.
Like all of the other Laetacara apecies they need a good waterquality. So regular waterchanges is a must, otherwise they seem to be sensitive for infections.

I will try to take some photos of my Thayeri´s, but I think it will be a bit difficult in this tank (too many plants!!) :

http://zoonen.com/perzoonen/galleri.asp?oid=189925&gid=221261

Best regards/ Per

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
it is again and again the shipping to canada Sad
Damn will move to US

More than 1 U.S. hobbyist has the same feelings about the difficulty getting fish from Oliver Lucanus in Montreal. Maybe the cigarette smugglers could smuggle fish back and forth as a side line. :)

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Actually, it looks like that problem may be somewhat solved for those of us in the states. I received this message from Oliver with this months price list:

"Good news!
If you are in the US and have a small order we can now offer someone
that can get the fish to you and a great price, shipped from the US by
courrier to your door, no customs or USFW: Contact Mark Robinson from
Cichliddomain.com (he is cc on this message). The current list is
attached, e-mail me if you have any questions, items with no price are already sold out, but fish come in all the time."

I have sent Mark an email inquiring as to how this works and am waiting for a reply. I'll keep you folks updated if you like. This is good news for me, as i actually made the drive to Olivers place earlier this year. I was nice to see him but I could have done without the 9 hour drive!!

Rich

P.S. You can join Oliver's mailing list to get price-lists and updates

P.W.

5 Year Member
I start to wonder if the L.Thayeri should be regarded as a "dwarfcichlid". My Thayeris are more than 100mm, and still growing it seems!
But they are very peaceful and nice, so they are doing really fine with my apistos.

Best regards/ Per

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….