• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara curviceps Spawning..

ste12000

5 Year Member
Yes ok i know its nothing too special or unusual and im not going to win an award but theres a small story behind the spawning and i thought you might want to share...
After wasting a 30mile trip to the areas best shop looking for unusual Dwarfs(they had nothing at all except a couple of Taeniatus 'Moliwe' which i bought)
On the return journey i decided to pop into my local shop, they have a good selection but nothing outstandingly rare or unusual,As this is my local i already own every dwarf they have ever sold, my mate Pete guided me to a tank of Laetacara curviceps. I had never seen them in the flesh before and was instantly impressed, even in the stressful shoptanks the colour shone and i soon picked a sexed pair and was on my way home.
Back in the fishroom it was the usual dilema of where to put yet more new fish! I admit the Laetacara curviceps were dumped into a small bare tank except for a huge ball of java moss and the Pelvicachromis 'Moliwe' received the best tank and all the attention, The curviceps were not seen for days, they were extreamly shy, cowering under the filter every time i went near the tank. I eventually made room in the tank next to the 'Moliwe' and decorated it with moss/fern plenty of wood and two broken peices of coconut shell right against the front glass(ideal for photographing spawning). The Laetacara curviceps still did not venture out even when offered food so i resorted to trickling bloodworm into dark corners, this continued until tonight(10 days).
After moving a couple of tanks around tonight i sat on the floor and couldnt believe that the male curviceps was right at the front(this was the first clear glimpse of him in 10days) not only was he at the front he was sat over the coconut shell and proudly fanning a fresh batch of eggs:) .. Iv bred plenty of fish before but this must rank as one of the most pleasing. Funnily though the male does all the work and the female is still hiding around the back(typical,just like my house). iv included a few pics and will keep you updated.
Laecaracurviceps.jpg

Use.jpg

use1special.jpg

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
Nice work ste12000! Don't be so modest, curviceps may be common in the hobby but they are pretty difficult to spawn. I kept them a few years ago and they spawned a few times but I never had any luck with the fry. I've now got 3 Laetacara sp "Orangeflossen" which I think are now known as fulvipinnis. (see my Avatar). I can't sex them for love nor money but I'm hoping a pair will eventually emerge. Good luck with your eggs/fry, you won't have any problem finding homes for the young...

ste12000

5 Year Member
Cheers, My family think im mad!!! i have spent half of today on my stomach in the fishroom watching and photographing the Laetacara.. Oh ok yes i am mad but arnt we all.....

The females been sharing responsibility today, she has been fanning and guarding the eggs as much as the male, last night i had'nt seen her at all since i bought them 11 days ago,today shes been out all day. They are both stunning fish but look a lot darker in the tank due to the subdued lighting(18inch tube over two 18x18x12 tanks) The flash shows of the colours to perfection and im quite pleased with the shots.
My rams also spawned again last night and a few have fungused today but upto now the young pair are doing a great job of looking after the eggs(time will tell)..
So everything is rosy in the fishroom and just how i like it..BUSY BUSY BUSY.

FEMALE
DSCF5801.jpg

DSCF5763.jpg

ste12000

5 Year Member
DSCF6032.jpg

DSCF6042.jpg

well the fry are freeswimming and the parents are proving to be very adapt for what i assume first timers. The fry took microworm straight off and are looking good.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Congratulations! They look great. If only every tank of these for sale had a picture like that to show people what they will look like when settled!

ste12000

5 Year Member
Thanks guys, Ed i totaly agree the difference between the colours in the shop and when in full breeding colour are miles apart, i am really enjoying these fish especially since they are a new species for me.
They are on the bottom rack and i have to nearly lie on the floor for a good look, i am enjoying them so much that the Pelvicachromis 'Moliwe' that received all the attention at the beginning are now getting jealous:wink:
I also received a batch of fish from microman including Apistogramma Pertensis and A 'Irinidae' on monday 15/10/07.. The Pertensis female has spawned already and has blocked up the enterance to her clay cave. The fish are a credit to Mark as they were delivered in top class condition.
I have been trying to work in the fishroom but with all this dwarf cichlid action ive not got much done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….