• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

L98

blueblue

5 Year Member
L98 - a variant of L46 ^.^
(Look at the eyes, they are the same!!)

l98d_951.jpg

l98a_145.jpg

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
They are exactly the same fish. I think both L46 and L98 are different L numbers for the same fish - Hypancistrus zebra.

Where did you get those blue blue?

blueblue

5 Year Member
Refael Hdr. said:
They are exactly the same fish. I think both L46 and L98 are different L numbers for the same fish - Hypancistrus zebra.

Where did you get those blue blue?

It's picked up from a big batch of imported L46...
It looks interesting... ^_^

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Blueblue,

yes, Rafael is right.
L98 is just a special color morph of H. zebra (L46), likely a single fish (still swimming around near Munich, Germany).

So I wouldn't call yours L98.

Sometimes younger L46 have broken or wavy lines, which become "correct" when they grow up.

regards,
Rolo

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Rolo and The reginator. Yes, as advised by Rolo in an earlier
private message, i am convinced that L98 is just nothing more than L46
with a different pattern (e.g, the offspring of the "hybrid" between
an L46 and an L98, as found by Andre, just looks like a normal L46).

By the way, when we have an L46 which exhibits another pattern,
is it then appropriate for me to call it L98?? ^.^

(L173, again, has been defined to be another species; and
when we compare L173 vs. L46, L98, we could see the eyes are
very different...)

Rolo

5 Year Member
blueblue said:
By the way, when we have an L46 which exhibits another pattern,
is it then appropriate for me to call it L98?? ^.^

I wouldn't do so!

The L-codes are NOT belonging to the appearance of a fish, but only to species / local forms (otherwise we can give some of the variable Hypancistrus species about 100 numbers more, e.g. L399 *g*).

L98 an d L46 are both synonymeous for H. zebra. So you better use only one L-code for this species like you do with other synonymized L-codes, too.

Think of e.g. L18/L81 ...nobody would call them L81. Or L76/L99... did you ever heard of L99? Usually, if L-codes are synonymized, the lower number keep valid.
Another case is, when L-codes from different localities are defined as one species, e.g. L4/L5/L28/L73 oder L7/L29. Then, if you want to and if you know the exact catch locality of your fish, you could use the different L-numbers, to seperate these local forms of one species.

But anyway... strictly, you don't have to use the L-code for described species any longer. The correct name is Hypancistrus zebra.. NOT L 46 (or L98)!)

best regards,
Rolo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….