• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Krib Problem

MHEAD

5 Year Member
I have a pair that have spawned in the past but now they go through all the motions every 2-3 weeks but no fry ever appear. Water parameters are okay-though ph is 6.0. Any advice would be appreciated. Mhead

westafrica

5 Year Member
Hi!

I've had the same problems with some pairs of P. taeniatus. The only thing that eventually made them spawn again consisted in getting the temperature down to 24°C for one month, then put it back to 27°C, degree by degree, one degree every 2 days, and feeding them with living daphnias, freezed artemias and spirulina sticks. If the pair is alone, you can also try to put some dither fish with your kribs, or if the tank is large enough (at least 50 G / 180l), put a pair of Nanochromis to stimulate them.

Westafrica

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Westafrica, thanks for the reply. Is there any way to tell if it is the male or the female that might be the problem? Did you ever try adding another male or female to the pair? Mhead

westafrica

5 Year Member
I don't think this is a good idea to add another krib. Despite the fact that a study (reference?) has shown that some males P. pulcher in the wild are polygamous, Keeping them in pairs in aquarium is better (IMO), because females can't stand each other. Putting 2 formed pairs of 2 different species of Pelvicachromis in the same tank may be a solution, but sometimes it doesn't work (when one pair becomes too dominant, or when a female starts displaying in front of the wrong male...). That's why I suggest to put a pair of Nanochromis or Parananochromis (or/and dither fish) rather than additionnal Pelvicas. Before that, following your kribs with a small mirror along the glass of the tank can sometimes trigger good reactions :) .

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Can you see into the cave and observe the eggs? If you can, and the eggs are gone within two days of being laid, I would suspect that the male is infertile. If the eggs are developing and then disappearing then I would suspect an overly attentive female. If that is the case then I would try adding another krib to the tank as a target fish. This extra krib may very well get beat up, and in some extreme cases may even get killed. The breeding pair will respond to that fish as a threat to the territory and that behavioral situation will often stimulate them to be better parents.

The cooling off period is good advice too. I think that i will try that on a couple Pelvicachromis species that are givnig me fits.

Rain man

5 Year Member
Kribs

I had that problem only once with the p. Blue fin, finally I did a 80% water change without disturbing the aquascape or gravel then I gave them a good meal all live food.. they spawned within 48 hours.

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the suggestions--that is what is so great about this forum. I now have several options and will try each one in turn and hope for some fry. Mhead

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….