• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keyholes?

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
Ive heard that there is a small non-agressive community ciclid called a "keyhole" anyone know anything about it?

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Cleithracara maronii is the Keyhole Cichlid. I had 3 in a 55g with some Agassizii and Cacatouides. They were twice the size of the apistos and twice as shy. After a couple months, they started to show themselves more and more. Eventually taking on an almost angelfish personality, coming to the front when someone walks by and begging for food it seemed. I don't recall ever seeing the slightest bit of aggression from them. Supposedly rather easy to breed once they get comfortable, I never tried to spawn them myself. They were an impulse buy at an auction that worked out pretty well, for once :)

Enjoy them,
Ken

strohl71

5 Year Member
I have 1 keyhole housed with several apistos. I beleive it is a male and he is larger than any apisto in the tank (approximately 4 inches long and thicker than the other fish). He is easily the most non-aggressive cichlid in the tank. A great fish and I recommend the species.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Not a bad choice for ram tankmates. They do well in a ram setup...plants, wood, lower pH. I kept my keyholes in the 6.5 range. They probably would have been a bit happier in the 6.0 neighborhood, but the Cacs would have not been happy with that. They took a while to adjust to a pH under 7.

As for size, mine ranged from 4 to around 5.5 inches.

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
do they get tall or just long? so would 1 be ok in a 20 with my other fish (tetras/guppies/rams) 2 is kind of pushing it huh?

Neil

crimsonrain,

do they get tall or just long?

They are a high-bodied fish, so they are taller than the average apisto, but they need alot of space to get over about 4 to 4.5 inches. So, at that length, they really aren't a heck of alot longer than the larger apistos

so would 1 be ok in a 20 with my other fish (tetras/guppies/rams) 2 is kind of pushing it huh?

Yes, one would almost certainly be fine with all those tankmates. They have generally very mild dispositions, so I would say that 2 would probably be OK.

Neil

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
oh good. my lfs may be ordering some soon, i love having my rams, and ciclids are so awesome. do keyholes prefer low pH and soft, warm water like the rams?

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
also, would they not reach thier potential length if they were in a small aquarium? i heard fish only grow to the room they have

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
RE: Keyholes.

Hello,All- It just so happens that Cleithracara maroni was the first cichlid I ever bred and remains my favorite. Laetacara curviceps is also gentle but the "Keyhole" is the gentleman of the genus. Mine lived seven-eight years, bred several times a year in 50 gallon community tank and always managed to raise some fry in the community without violence or mayhem.

My Pelvicachromis pulcher pair just did the same thing in a 29 community-
23 fry are big little fishes at 6 weeks old. The pair just spawned again and I am a bit worried that they will turn on their older kids but the tank is so densely planted I couldn't begin to catch my fry.

Further C. maroni gets along with everone and holds its own at table. It was interesting because I have just given up on M. ramiriezzi and cardinal tetras because they can't. My active fishes are Blue Tetras, Bloodfins and
Flying Foxes. There are also discus and curviceps. I find the rams and cardinals aren't afraid of the active dithers but wind up starving to death.

I have one surviving cardinal 35 and one ram of 20. These are the last I
will attempt in the community.

By the by I thought Rainbows were hard water fishes-rams definitely aren't, neither are discus or cardinals. I don't know your "Clown Loaches" but they are big, active fishes. I just added a group of five Botia
sidithimunki and am enchanted with their beauty and playfulness.

I also added three "Siamese Flyiing Foxes" for algae control and they are a complete bust. They don't touch the algae on my five "Indian Red"
swordplants or my Cabomba furcata. They wait for the black worms and eat them greedily.

In my 29 I have 3 "Siamese Algae Eaters" and they are the best workers and the most delightful fishes. I will trade the "Flying Foxes" for 3 of the Algae Eaters as soon as I can locate them. Quite hard to find in Tucson. Ottocinclus were much too weak and died off rapidly

Also check out water chemistry and warmth with the rams and rainbows.
I doubt the rainbows are going to be comfortable in the mid 80's. Good luck and let us all knowhow it works out,

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi

Keyholes are always a nice companion for apistos. Particulary Ap. Steindachneri is a good choice to keep with them, since the two species are living sympatrically in the rivers of guyana.
Look at some photos of my keyholes and some Ap. Steindachneri in a 165 litre tank.

http://zoonen.com/perzoonen/artikel.asp?oid=202269

Best regards/ Per

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….