• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping Bolivian Rams with A. Baenschi

warbyd

5 Year Member
Hello all, this is my first time posting here so please be gentle ;)

I picked up a pair of A. Baenschi on the weekend, very small young fish which have yet to colour up fully but look like they have great potential and seem quite comfortable with one another so *fingers crossed*. This is my first time keeping apisto's but I am fascinated by the little buggers and would like to put them into their own tank.

The tank I have intended for them is a standard 2 foot tank with plenty of java moss, a few coconut caves, possibly a broken ceramic pot or two and a leaf covering over a sand substrate. So hopefuly, lots of cover and lots of hiding places for them.. The thing is, this tank was intended for a breeding pair of bolivian rams so would the two co-exist peacefully given the amount of cover they have, or would I be better off leaving my rams in the community tank until "she who shall not be named" approves another tank? :p

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for appropriate plants to go with the java moss to assist in providing cover & hiding places that would be much appreciated.. I'm after anything (available in Australia) that grows dense, or can be planted dense, under low-light conditions as this tank (at this stage) will be lit only by sunlight coming in through a nearby window..

Oh and, any suggestions for other fish that could be kept in the tank if not the rams? Tetras? Rainbows? Minnows? This tank is basically the mrs' tank and I know she will want something else in there to provide a bit more colour and life if possible...

Cheers and G'day from Australia :)

-Dave

dw1305

5 Year Member
G'day Dave,
In a 2 foot tank you will have to remove one of the pairs of cichlids at some point. Both your Bolivian Rams and A. baenschi are pair forming (most other Apisto's are better as harems), and are going to want the whole bottom when they breed.

I like to keep some dithers with my Apistogrammas, usual choice is Pencil fish, but any small fish that stays well up in the water column and has a small mouth is suitable. I use Black Neon Tetras with A. cacatuoides and they are fine.

A. baenschi also needs quite a low pH (below 7) and water without too many dissolved salts (below about 200microS). Have a look at ApistoBob's site for further details of water habitat etc. <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/> and search this forum for "dithers", "tetras" and "pencil fish".

cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
plants

Should also of said the tank set up seems fine.
Java fern (Microsorum) and African (Bolbitis) are other plants that will grow.

I'm not sure what you are allowed in Aus, but some floating plants work well.
My suspicion would be that Salvinia and Pistia are banned, but Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium) or floating fern (Ceratopteris) might be a possibility?

cheers Darrel

warbyd

5 Year Member
Thanks for that Darrel, pretty much what I figured but was hoping to be told otherwise haha (wishful thinking :) Oh well heh)

Thinking at the moment that I will put neon tetras in there as dither fish with the baenschi and leave the rams in the community tank until another tank is approved by the boss..

What leaves, other than oak leaves, are suitable for use as litter on the bottom of the tank? Don't really know where I'd be able to get ahold of oak leaves around my area....

Cheers,

Dave

dw1305

5 Year Member
Alternatives to oak leaves

G'day,
We tend to use fallen Alder "cones", Oak or Beech leaves because they are non-toxic and tend to acidify the water, they also don't break down very fast.

My suspicion is many leaves would do, it's just a matter of trying them. You can buy Indian Almond leaves (Catappa terminalia) of Ebay, they are reputedly the best.

I've got some Loquat leaves (Eriobotrya japonica) and Camellia leaves in to soak, they have both added tannins and lowered the pH, but I haven't tried adding any to tanks with Daphnia in them yet. Assuming the Daphnia test goes OK, I'll try them on some Cherry Shrimps, and if that's ok eventually some fish.

cheers Darrel

Hassles

5 Year Member
Thanks for that Darrel, pretty much what I figured but was hoping to be told otherwise haha (wishful thinking :) Oh well heh)

Thinking at the moment that I will put neon tetras in there as dither fish with the baenschi and leave the rams in the community tank until another tank is approved by the boss..

What leaves, other than oak leaves, are suitable for use as litter on the bottom of the tank? Don't really know where I'd be able to get ahold of oak leaves around my area....

Cheers,

Dave

What part of of this brown and burnt country are you from ? andwhere did you get your baenschi ?

warbyd

5 Year Member
Awesome cheers for the info there Darrel.. definately given me some things to chase up :)

Hassles, I'm way out west in Perth.. got the baenschi from a LFS here when I was ringing around trying to find a pair of Cockatoos. $50 for the pair, don't know if thats a good price or an absolute rip off but they seem pretty rare over here and look beautiful when they mature so I'm happy :) Just need to do the lil guys justice and get their tank set up, which hit a stumbling block last night because I decided I really didnt trust the stand it was on :/

Hassles

5 Year Member
Hassles, I'm way out west in Perth.. got the baenschi from a LFS here when I was ringing around trying to find a pair of Cockatoos. $50 for the pair, don't know if thats a good price or an absolute rip off but they seem pretty rare over here and look beautiful when they mature so I'm happy :) Just need to do the lil guys justice and get their tank set up, which hit a stumbling block last night because I decided I really didnt trust the stand it was on :/

Personally I would have paid $50 for the pair without fuss. Perth, hmm, Thats a long way. I have a tank full of cacatuoides that need to leave home! I also have a tank full of gibbiceps, steindachneri and jurensis that all need to leave home :wink:

A. baenschi is on my short list - I figure with so many Apistos I can have a long short list heh heh heh :)

warbyd

5 Year Member
Yeah I'm still going to get a pair (or do they prefer harem? I cant remember heh) of cac's in the near future I think.. probably once I get the stand sorted for the baenschi's tank then I will get some cac's to go into the community tank.. definately not phased by the $50 for the pair, never seen them for sale before so don't know what they're worth on the open market, but to me $50 seemed alright :)

Hopefully if I can get the baenschi to spawn once they're mature then I can show the boss that there is some potential for profit, and get a few more tanks set up for other species of apisto :p

Oh little side note, anyone know what size/age baenschi become sexually mature?

-Dave

amazonfish

5 Year Member
Microgeophagus Altipinosa with A. sp

Hi,nowadays i mantaining into my tank 2 bolivian ram's couples with A. Viejita, A.pertensi, A.irinidae, L.Dorsigera, and tetras, they haven't a problem, i have a lot of plants and coconuts caves, only support a good conditios for them:biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….