• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

keep fish together

rama

5 Year Member
hello!

i would like to ask a question, maybe someone can give to me a clue. After searching here, i have not find a good "list" or advice on what fish could keep together.
i would like some info about compatibility of this fish
Apistogramma cacatuoides
ramirezi
pelvicachromis

can they keep all together? there are some other fish that i can keep with them? how many space they require?

I know that the question could seem silly, but i am really new to acquarium world.

also maybe if there is a sort of guideline to setup a nice acquarium for this kind of fish i will really appreciate.

Best regards

rama

5 Year Member
one of 200l
the other of ~100 (120 if i have take the measure right)

i still don't know what kind of fish put on the ~100 the other is populated, but i have to change apartment, so i have to swap the fish, and i can change whatever i want (the fish will be keep by my uncle for a while ehehe)

LyreTail

5 Year Member
When spawning things can get quite mean, but otherwise the temperments of the Pelv and Apistos seem to be similar

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
Dwarf cichlids as companions.

The only silly question is the one not asked. Apisto. cacatuoides is fairly
shy and deliberate in its movements. The Pelvicacheromis I assume you
mean is pulcher and they are much larger and stronger fish-tremendous
appetites. I have had a miserable time with M. ramirezi except with larger, slower dithers. With P. pulcher hogging the food your rams may not get enough to eat.

I am the last person to be reluctant to experiment. I would use a 30-40
gallon tank-introduce the Rams first-3 males- 5 females, 1 month later
introduce mature apistos making sure they have lots of plants and stones.
I'd use 2 males and 5-6 females as they are harem breeders.
Two months later you could introduce a pair of Pelvicachromis pucher. By
then the more reticent and smaller fish have territories established and
should be able to handle the kribs.

Use lots of dithers-hatchets and blood fins are great at the top.
Odessa barbs, Black or Red Phantom tetras for the middle with a small
group of diamonds. 3 dwarf loaches for moxie and playfulness. The best
schoolers are the blood fins so I'd use 7, 3 Odessa barbs or checker
barbs-2m 1 f or both, 5 marble hatchets or 3 silver hatchets and if you can
these dither fish are actiove and quite unafraid and will bring the more
secretive dwarf cichlids out. If the Pp prove too aggressive try some
Brazilian Rams, or Apistos with a very different look. I'd also add three of the smaller species of Cory Cats like Panda and an Ottociclus for algae control. Make this a real aquascape with lots of plants, wood and stones.

All these fish will tolerate temps between 82-85F and the other water parameters are close enough. Good luck.

B

Boa69

Pelvicacheromis P. VS SA Dwarfs

Hi.

I too am interested in P.P. but I thought that they were too aggressive for the SA Dwarfs..?

The setup you suggested (Ancientaquarist) looks very interesting. Do you think it could really work? I want to start a 65 or so in the next few months and that setup is knd of like what I had in mind..

What kind of Apostos would be ideal or could hack it with P.P?

About the dithers.. hatchet fish are very interesting but arent they pretty tough to take care of and I thought they were pretty susecptable to diseases..?? How about pencilfish? Also, would the cory catfish be at risk in a tank with all those bottom dwelling cichlids or would they be ignored?

thanks

Boa

fishgeek

the cory's would like cooler temperature's

and if the cichlids start to spawn will be hounded into a corner if there is one left

andrew

B

Boa69

so... can apostos handle kribs???

what do you think?

Does the presence of kribs change the type of dithers you can have?

Boa

strohl71

5 Year Member
Boa69 -

I briefly attempted to keep a pair of Kribs in my apisto tank but the Kribs turned out to be too aggressive. I removed the Kribs within days and peace returned to the tank (well peace for the most part anyway as apistos have their little spats with each other). :)

G

gully fourmyle

I had kribs and Apistos sharing tanks on and off for years and it was always an iffy thing. They tolerate each other, but they are never comfortable, so I agree with the others on this. If you want somethng a bit bigger than Apistos, go with a pair of Keyholes or Aquidens Curviceps or Pulcher. They are pretty peaceful. If you want something even larger that will fit right in you can go with a young pair of portalegrensis. If you start with small ones, they won't consider any of your smaller fish as food. They are the teddy bears of the fish world. They don't have a lot of colour, but the males make up for lack of colour with very showy finnage and they are very interesting to watch and interact with. They also tend to stop dwarfs from fighting amongst each other by disrupting their activities with their insatiable curiosity. They don't harm the plantlife either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….