• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juwel Lido 120 stocking advice

mike_cummi

5 Year Member
Hi.

I am intending to get a Juwel Lido 120 and am in the process of researching stocking options. The tank dimensions are 61cm wide, 41cm deep and 58cm tall. I am undecided as to whether or not I'll use the juwel filter or get an external canister filter for it.

I'm looking to create a peaceful community set up with sand substrate and reasonably heavily planted with epiphythes on arrangements of bogwood, some floating plants, a few taller plants at the back such as vallisneria and egeria densa, h polysperma. A few coconut/rock caves. I'd like to add some tannins with catappa leaves, birch cones etc. Not exactly blackwater but a bit of colouration. I'd aim to get the pH at 7. I currently mix my tap water with rain water to create soft pH 6.5 conditions for my nano tank and it has worked really well with my cherry shrimp and chilli rasboaras thriving. So I would intend to do the same sort of thing for the Lido, just adjusting the rain/tap water ratio a bit to get to pH 7.

Stocking wise, I like the idea of habrosus cories and a single male dwarf cichlid, and maybe a bristlenose in the lower reaches of the tank. It's a reasonably tall tank, so higher up the water column I was thinking of maybe some lambchop rasboras and pencilfish.

I have kept apistos in a 2 foot tank in the past, always as a pair, but the females were harrased to death. As I'm not interested in breeding I thought I'd just go for a lone male this time as a centrepiece fish.

Looking for a peaceful dwarf cichlid that will coexist with the cories and ancistrus and won't mind being on it's own, and will find the footprint of the tank sufficient. I like the look of the bolivian ram, laetacara curvceps/dorsigera/araguaie, nannacara anomala or an Apisto, or maybe even a krib.

The tank mates I am thinking of are all fairly inoffensive so I'm guessing that most dwarf cichlids would be okay in such a set up but if anyone has any particular recommendations or foresees any problems then I'd be grateful for the input. I suppose I am a little concerned about the cories as I have read a lot of mixed reports when it comes to cohabiting with dwarf cichlids, but with no female in the tank I'm hoping that the dwarf cichlid won't be too territorial, and he'll have plenty of hiding places in amongst the plants and decor to get a bit of peace and quiet.

Thanks for any advice.

ARK93

and maybe a bristlenose in the lower reaches of the tank
One suggestion I will make, consider Otos if you're not dead set on the Bristlenose. You may well find the nocturnal activity of the Bristlenose stresses your dwarf cichlid, not to mention the Bristlenose's ability to uproot your plants.
I have kept apistos in a 2 foot tank in the past, always as a pair, but the females were harrased to death. As I'm not interested in breeding I thought I'd just go for a lone male this time as a centrepiece fish.
A sensible choice, and one many people don't seem to make.
Looking for a peaceful dwarf cichlid that will coexist with the cories and ancistrus and won't mind being on it's own, and will find the footprint of the tank sufficient. I like the look of the bolivian ram, laetacara curvceps/dorsigera/araguaie, nannacara anomala or an Apisto, or maybe even a krib.
Most dwarf cichlids will be pretty peaceful if kept singly. I've always found Kribs to be a bit more belligerent than South American species, although I don't have a lot of experience with them outside of a shop setting.
I am a little concerned about the cories as I have read a lot of mixed reports when it comes to cohabiting with dwarf cichlids, but with no female in the tank I'm hoping that the dwarf cichlid won't be too territorial, and he'll have plenty of hiding places in amongst the plants and decor to get a bit of peace and quiet.
I think this will most likely be true. I kept C. trilineatus with A. macmasteri and the male didn't really pay them any attention at all. The female used to try and chase them away from her chosen cave but she never caused them harm.

mike_cummi

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply. I would not have considered the bristlenose nocturnal activity, so that’s very useful info. I’ll consider Otos instead.

MacZ

And with Otos best wait out the phases of instability. It is best to only add them to the tank after about 6 months. That has several reasons:
They are specialized aufwuchs eaters. After 6 months the biofilms and aufwuchs have firmly established. Otherwise they eat all biofilms and algae within less than a day and won't find anymore food. That means: Supplemental feeding or starving Otos.
And when you feed them you have a good chance of leaving vegetables in the tank for a while (maximum 48h) or feeding something that covers surfaces (small frozen food, dusted foods). Both has negative impact on water quality and in a "freshly" set up tank that will only promote imbalances and can really impact your experience. I know a whole list of people these little fish have almost cost their fun and interest in the hobby.

Considering the size Corydoras habrosus are usually sold at, stay clear of big-mouthed Apistogramma (A. cacatuoides, A. baenschi, A. atahualpa, A. barlowi). I have seen more than once how e.g. A. cacatuoides choked on Corydoras pygmaeus.
Alternatively thing about an alternative for the Corydoras. Maybe a surface species (pencils/hatchets/copella), a midwater species (tetras) and leave the bottom completely to the dwarf cichlid.

Otherwise I have not much to add. ARK93 has been spot on.

mike_cummi

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply. I am a bit wary about otos from what I've read and the potential problems that you describe, so I may just forget about them as well.

I've always wanted to keep cories so am keen to keep them if possible. If they are very tiny I'll make sure I give them a chance to grow out a bit in a seperate tank before adding them.

I think the front runner for me at the mo as regards the dwarf cichlid is probably the bolivian ram. I really like their geophagus type shape. Having said that, the stunning colours that apistos bring may sway me.

MacZ

Thanks for your reply. I am a bit wary about otos from what I've read and the potential problems that you describe, so I may just forget about them as well.
If you are still interested in catfish take a look at smaller Loricarids like Rineloricaria.

I've always wanted to keep cories so am keen to keep them if possible. If they are very tiny I'll make sure I give them a chance to grow out a bit in a seperate tank before adding them.
Good idea. Or get a very young and hence small cichlid.

I think the front runner for me at the mo as regards the dwarf cichlid is probably the bolivian ram. I really like their geophagus type shape. Having said that, the stunning colours that apistos bring may sway me.
Not a bad choice to get into dwarf cichlids.

anewbie

For a single fish that is fine but a pair or group they can be a bit unpredictable and problematic. A couple of alternatives I would suggest that are easy to care for but also easier ot handle if you intend to keep a pair are borelli apistogramma and nannacara anomala. With nanncara anomala some people have reported issues with female being hyper aggressive and killing their males when protecting eggs but i've not had that problem in either a 20 long or 40B. I realize your tank is fairly small. The borelli seem to be fairly docile when breeding.

mike_cummi

5 Year Member
For a single fish that is fine but a pair or group they can be a bit unpredictable and problematic. A couple of alternatives I would suggest that are easy to care for but also easier ot handle if you intend to keep a pair are borelli apistogramma and nannacara anomala. With nanncara anomala some people have reported issues with female being hyper aggressive and killing their males when protecting eggs but i've not had that problem in either a 20 long or 40B. I realize your tank is fairly small. The borelli seem to be fairly docile when breeding.

Thanks for your post, but I'll defo just be keeping the 1 male, regardless of species. I do like the look of the borellii,

anewbie

Just be aware the borelli is a smaller fish - which actually might be a bonus for a small aquarium. They are inquisitive (which is true for many cichlid) and if you do decide to add a female at a later date your tank is likely large enough to support a pair. They can also handle a wider range of temp and water condition than many other species of apistogramma.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….