• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile cacatuoides sexing

Alex.

5 Year Member
Hi,

I was sold a 'pair' of A. Cacatuoides, but I'm unsure as to whether the 'male' is actually a male.

They are both very small, the 'male' is about 2 - 2.5 cm long and the female is about 1.5 cm.

The 'male' has no lyre tail, and his colouration seems identical to that of a female.

I've never kept apistos before, so don't really know much about sexing them, but would it even be possible when they're this young? Is that what is leading to my confusion?

Here's a couple of pictures of the 'male'. Sorry for the poor quality...

Curved tail as opposed to lyre visible here:
cacatuoides1lt7.jpg

cacatuoides2zi5.jpg

Any help on identifying whether it's a male or female would be much appreciated :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I believe that your fish are too small (young) to confidently sex. Wait until the male is 5 cm/2" long. By that time the male will show higher dorsal spines and a squared off tail.

Alex.

5 Year Member
I believe that your fish are too small (young) to confidently sex. Wait until the male is 5 cm/2" long. By that time the male will show higher dorsal spines and a squared off tail.
Will do.

Has anyone got tips on what to feed them? I was expecting them to be sexually mature, not this young.

Cyclops, daphnia? Will they take flake?

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
My impression is that the fish shown in your photo is a female.
Some within every spawn are delayed developers so those can appear to be females for quite awhile, especially in the presence of many more dominant males. So I can't be 100% certain. I did recently raise about 175 Apistogramma cacatuoides to adults before selling them so my experience is still fresh in my mind. I am usually pretty good at sexing them early.
Even before there are clear signs of secondary sex characteristics, males tend to grow faster than females and are much more aggressive toward all other conspecifics. Anyone of these factor is not completely reliable but taken in the aggregate, these traits greatly improve the reliability of the conclusions.

Live Daphnia are a great food but my own experience with frozen Daphnia is that most fish don't eat it with much enthusiasm. Frozen Blood Worms and live newly hatched brine shrimp daily will promote rapid growth. So will a finely blended beef heart blend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….