• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just an odd story for you

Discus Man

5 Year Member
I posted a while back about a true odd couple of apistos...
a large male Bitaeniata paired up with a female Borelli. Eggs were laid, no offspring thank goodness! After a year the female Borelli passed away. (I blame tha tank at 80degrees)
I addedthat trio of unknown pertensis group of apistos I found cheap at a LFS (reverse trio).
Guess who the Bit. has paired up with! Not the female!
He has paired with the subdominant male of the trio! I know its a male! Absolutely positive!
The bit protects him, they forage together, sleep next to each other... when the male Bit dances in front of the little male the male totally ignores it. The little male seems to enjoy his new found protection against the other pertensis male!
Makes me feel guilty that I never found the Bit. a real mate!
Apistos do make for a good soap opera!

aspen

5 Year Member
i have had an american flag fish male 'pair' with a female ram once, and the bugger ripped a big hunk out of my nicest young male in the tank. man was i mad. i am very watchful of those guys now. it is funy what 'loneliness' can do to males. :twisted:

rick

Discus Man

5 Year Member
Ouch, amazing what jealousy can do too!

By the way, how did those Bits. you got from Big Als do? Have any of the females coloured up nice and yellow?
Remeber me if they ever breed!

2la

5 Year Member
I had a domestic ram go lesbian with a WC one after her mate died, despite having the choice to pair up with the WC male. As if we needed more proof that us men have the oft-tapped potential to put women off us for good. My insecurity is tempting me to make a few phone calls, just in case...

aspen

5 Year Member
i have a nice pair of bits in a 10 gal, and i'm hoping. (yes male AND female) the male is from al's the female from d up in brampton. so, i hope from different sources. and yes, i WILL remember you.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….