• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ivanacara adoketa

limchongyu

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm currently keeping a pair of adoketas in a 3ft tank (around 32gallons i think) with just 2 Nannostomus eques and 2 three-lined pencilfishes. The substrate I'm using is ADA Africana. I've placed lots of driftwoods and ketapang leaves. However I find that the pair is quite shy and always hiding in the leaves.

I was wondering if this is because I've too few inhabitants in the tank. So far the pair have spawned once but eaten the eggs in only a few hours(they spawned right at the front on a piece of KTP leaf). Hope to ask for some advice as to what you guys keep as dithers for adoketas? Or should I just leave the tank as it is. Thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'd leave the tank as it is, if not add more hiding places. You don't mention your water values. For breeding this fish really wants dark, soft and acid water.

limchongyu

5 Year Member
To be honest I've not been actively checking values for my tanks for quite a while(I know I should). With ADA africana soil and some ketapang leaves i've been able to breed apisto elizabethae with water from my tap. This time round I also placed a bag of sera super peat in the filter. Also the water is stained a tea brown from the leaves.
This pair were less shy in a 2ft but have been rushing back into the leaf litter since the move to a 3ft.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It might be just being in a new tank and they need some time to feel comfortable in it. I find that they (and most dwarf cichlids) feel more comfortable in a tank that is placed above waist level and in a quiet location.

limchongyu

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice! I hope they do get more bold. The tank is actually the main display tank in the living but my mom often asks me whether the tank is empty! (she does all of the feeding on weekdays as I actually stay in the campus hostel and go home only on weekends)

limchongyu

5 Year Member
Hi blueblue, I saw your posts on AQ and some other forums too! Did you use RO water for these lovely cichlids too?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….