• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Itching A.Borellii

TuvaM

Hi guys.
Today I noticed my male Borellii seemed to have an itch. He was rubbing against some plants and his dorsal fin was kind of vibrating. Might this be a disease? I can't see anything that's stuck to him.

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes, the itching could be due to a skin parasite. Keep watch and see if anything further shows up, and watch for any rapid or heavy breathing, which might indicate gill damage. I would not suggest any medications (other than heat) until you have more evidence to make an informed choice.

TuvaM

I just got a new tank as the one I had was leaking, so it's hard to believe that poor water quality - correct me if I'm wrong. I will watch him and see if anything else happens.

gerald

5 Year Member
Depending on the animal vs plant load, yes, new tanks certainly CAN have poor water quality, if there's not enough plants and/or nitrifying bacteria yet to consume the ammonia from fish waste. It's not as common a problem in lightly-stocked tanks with plants and small fish like Apisto's, compared with tanks of bigger fish, but it can happen. Did you move the old substrate and plants from the leaking tank to the new one? That should help.

TuvaM

I moved the old pump/filter and the plants over to the new one. The filter has been on the whole time, so I can't imagine that the bacteria have died. The substrate was really smelly due to a little crisis during the holiday with an automatic feeder which overfed the fish.. So that I replaced.

HengLee

If you are sure that it's an Ich which are caused by parasites, you can start treating your tank with Coppersafe by Mardel. But you must remove all inverterbrates before starting the treatment.

It'll be fatal if you don't treat it fast enough. When there are only a few white spots on the fish, you might still be able to save the fish.
But if the white spots increased to too many, it might be too late to save it. And it can spread to other fish very easily.

You can read about Ich here:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Coppersafe by Mardel:
http://fritzaquatics.com/product/coppersafe/

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….