• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there a website that describes the water condition required for various apisto species to breed ?

anewbie

Per subject is there a website that describe what kind of water (hardness/ph) is required for species of apisto to breed successfully? I've seen tom's website and it mentions the water condition where fishes are caught but clearly some require blackwater to breed; other lean more towards clear water and other white water and I've not seen this level of detail mentioned.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I don’t know, but there are a lot of breeding reports on this site, including <this one>. My suspicion is that there are too many confounding variables to narrow things down to specific water parameters, but you can likely draw conclusions about what likely WON’T work.

anewbie

I don’t know, but there are a lot of breeding reports on this site, including <this one>. My suspicion is that there are too many confounding variables to narrow things down to specific water parameters, but you can likely draw conclusions about what likely WON’T work.
Yea - the problem is that reports like that one ask the question "what water will this species breed in"; i'm looking for "these are my condition what fishes can i consider"...

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Yeah, I see what you mean. If I were you, I would focus on availability first and then narrow down by what you’re willing to do with your water. The intersection of what you can get vs what you like is probably small enough to winnow it down quickly.

anewbie

What's wrong with buying a book on the subject? There are quite a few out there.
What is a good book in english that is still in print ?

most of the books i;ve seen mentioned in the past are either in german or are out of print.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
That may be true, but they are still available from 'out-of-print' book sellers. As for books only in German, I have English translations for most at no cost.

If you are not willing to spend money, then the 'Search' engine on this site and on the web are available. You just have to work harder to dig out the information that you need.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….