• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is oak safe for use in the aquarium with dwarf cichild and 'blackwater' conditions ?

anewbie

Is it safe to use oak with crazy glue in side an aquarium or will it leach something dreadfully unpleasant to the fishes ?

Eddy. E.

If the glue is allowed to cure beforehand, there should be no problems. As I said, "should", as is always the case.

Apistoguy52

Oak…no problem. Been using leaves and branches for many years. No idea about the glue, 100% silicone for me.

anewbie

If the glue is allowed to cure beforehand, there should be no problems. As I said, "should", as is always the case.
Would nails be better? I worry about them rusting being inside the aquarium but i'm not sure if the rust itself is bad for the fishes. This is to make a 'container' for the portion of the aquarium that will rise above the water level. I figure the wood would blend in better.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
People commonly use super glue to attach plants to hardscape and cure it in the tank. It cures very effectively in water, and I haven’t heard of any ill effects on livestock. I actually wish I’d tried this technique sooner, as it’s much easier than tying things down with fishing line.

Some folks even go so far as to apply the glue underwater, which I haven’t tried. The gel forms of super glue are easier to work with because you can see it better.

Final note, super glue becomes white when it cures underwater. Take that into account when you decide which surfaces will be visible. Some find it an eyesore.

Cheers

anewbie

People commonly use super glue to attach plants to hardscape and cure it in the tank. It cures very effectively in water, and I haven’t heard of any ill effects on livestock. I actually wish I’d tried this technique sooner, as it’s much easier than tying things down with fishing line.

Some folks even go so far as to apply the glue underwater, which I haven’t tried. The gel forms of super glue are easier to work with because you can see it better.

Final note, super glue becomes white when it cures underwater. Take that into account when you decide which surfaces will be visible. Some find it an eyesore.

Cheers
I would cure it out of water. I would clue the pieces (but rather use nails if that is safe); let it dry for 2 days before use.

anewbie

Are we contemplating building a wooden box from oak? I figured we were speaking more along the lines of botanicals.
The aquarium is 4ftx4ftx18inchs; the back 8 inches ot 1 foot would be emersed to allow plants to go emersed. The idea is to put the wooden box against the inside back on top of some caves that fishes can use - the box would be around 10 inches front to back; 40 inches long and 8 to 12 inches tall. THe substrate/caves under it would be approx 2 inches and the rest would be open air... does that description make sense ? I would pile some drift wood/rocks in front of the box to 'hide' it or have it blend in if possible.

Apistoguy52

The aquarium is 4ftx4ftx18inchs; the back 8 inches ot 1 foot would be emersed to allow plants to go emersed. The idea is to put the wooden box against the inside back on top of some caves that fishes can use - the box would be around 10 inches front to back; 40 inches long and 8 to 12 inches tall. THe substrate/caves under it would be approx 2 inches and the rest would be open air... does that description make sense ? I would pile some drift wood/rocks in front of the box to 'hide' it or have it blend in if possible.
Makes sense. My two cents says I’d probably be more inclined to visit the glass shop for a couple pieces to silicone in. I’m not sure I’d trust any lumber I didn’t process to touch my water

anewbie

Makes sense. My two cents says I’d probably be more inclined to visit the glass shop for a couple pieces to silicone in. I’m not sure I’d trust any lumber I didn’t process to touch my water
Well I could silicon a glass box and put it in (I don't want to silicon it to the tank itself); and that is a viable option - is it safe to put plexiglass in the tank or actual glass. I'll check if homedepot will custom cut glass next time i'm there.

Mazan

You can make a box with wood and seal it with epoxy resin. That is how we made the top filters for our biggest tank.

anewbie

You can make a box with wood and seal it with epoxy resin. That is how we made the top filters for our biggest tank.
I think the concern is that the lumber it self might not be safe in the aquarium if it has been treated with something. glass seems like a safe option if i can find enough drift wood to put in front of it to hide the 'glass'ness.

Mazan

I think the concern is that the lumber it self might not be safe in the aquarium if it has been treated with something. glass seems like a safe option if i can find enough drift wood to put in front of it to hide the 'glass'ness.
Yes you could use glass. But the epoxy is transparent and makes a glass-like surface over wood, I believe that it completely seals the wood so that nothing can leach out and the wood won’t rot. However that would be worth checking and glass may be easier in the long run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….