• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Iranocichla hormuzensis?

Randall

5 Year Member
Iranocichla hormuzensis

Dear Mark,

Iranocichla is a monotypic genus for the only cichlid species endemic to Iran, where they are found in highly saline streams. It is believed to be related to Danakilia Thys van den Audenaerde, 1968, a monotypic species from northeast Africa. Given their water chemistry preferences and size (to about 8-10 cm. SL), I wouldn't call them dwarf cichlids.

As far as I know, they are mouthbrooders, are darkly colored and Axelrod (1993) suggested that they are facing extinction in their native habitat, an opinion not shared by Code who has worked extensively with this fish.

I've never heard of Iranocichla hormuzensis in the hobby, but that doesn't mean that someone out there doesn't have them.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Neil

IMO Water chemistry is not important criteria for determining whether or not a cichlid is a Dwarf or not. That would limit the scope of our interest too much. Although a large majority of the fish that most of us are interested in are from soft water biotopes, who's to say that any one of us may cling on to some unusual hard water fish. If it were me, I would most definitely still consider myself a keeper of Dwarf Cichlids, if that fish were 8-10cm, not too rough on tankmates, compatable with other fish in a fairly small aquaria.
However, if Iranocichla hormuzensis were to grow to 6 inches in the wild(and possibly larger in captivity), it is likely that that alone would preclude it from being a Dwarf.
I knew of the existence of this fish and that it is the only species in its genus, but I knew nothing else about it (until now! :) Thanks Randall - Again!)
Nermal, where have you run across the name?
Neil

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
These fish sound like the kind that lot of us are in the hobby for, fascinating if they breed for you I want some! Persian cichlids!

Nermal

5 Year Member
I should have looked on the home page first. It's there! :D However, havent found anyone with any, yet.:( Although, I did find someone who might be planning a collection trip! The trip is on hold until after the US and UK kick some Iraq butt!

I'll keep you in mind if I aquire any and if I have any success!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….