• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Internal parasites treatment

Mhmd

my trio apistogramma baenschi have sunken bellies and have stringy white poop, i was looking for internal parasites medication and have 2 options either levimasole or praziquantel which is more
Active/effective? I have few red cherry shrimp in the tank and 8 nannostomus trifasciatus

MacZ

levimasole or praziquantel which is more
Active/effective?
Doesn't matter, as both only target worms and it is possible the parasite is a flagellate / protozoan.
I'd get one med containing one of the former and a second with Nitrothiazolylazane, or its derivates. If one should not work, the other will likely. If neither works it's game over.

Do NOT use a dewormer and a med against protozoans at the same time.

Mhmd

Doesn't matter, as both only target worms and it is possible the parasite is a flagellate / protozoan.
I'd get one med containing one of the former and a second with Nitrothiazolylazane, or its derivates. If one should not work, the other will likely. If neither works it's game over.

Okay i am going tomorrow to my lfs to get a dewormer treatment and look for a medication with nitrothiazolylazane online, are both medications shrimp safe?

MacZ

In my experience no med against internal parasites is 100% invertebrate-safe. Either crustaceans or snails are affected, sometimes both.

This list here might help. It's UK-specific but lists international manufacturers.
Vendors | BSAVA Library

Mhmd

In my experience no med against internal parasites is 100% invertebrate-safe. Either crustaceans or snails are affected, sometimes both.

This list here might help. It's UK-specific but lists international manufacturers.
Vendors | BSAVA Lib

Thank you, i managed to catch some shrimp and started with the dewormer treatment (levamisole) and found JBL spirohexol which contains nitrothiazole for flagelles on standby.

MacZ

JBL spirohexol which contains nitrothiazole for flagelles on standby.
I used to use that stuff too, but JBL stopped manufacturing it for our market here in Germany. You're lucky if you got your hands on some leftover charges.

Be aware that you have to use Levamisol again in two weeks time, as it doesn't kill of worm eggs.

Mhmd

I used to use that stuff too, but JBL stopped manufacturing it for our market here in Germany. You're lucky if you got your hands on some leftover charges.

Be aware that you have to use Levamisol again in two weeks time, as it doesn't kill of worm eggs.
yes thats what the guy at the lfs said its an old stock of jbl and that they stopped manufacturing it, a good alternative was cerpofor flagellex by colombo that had same ingredients if you’re looking for alternatives.
i am from France so i think we have similar markets.
Yes i read the notice of my dewormer (esha ndex)

MacZ

I got a leftover charge of Sera Flagellol, which will probably last me for a while. I have only one display at the moment and don't plan on getting new fish any time soon.
Right now there is no nitrothiozole-based med available here, neither are Praxi or Levamisole. Import is illegal even from other EU-countries. We can only get them with prescription for about 4 times the cost from a vet. Doesn't help much if they are not sold anymore.
I don't know it's still available in France. Usually our laws in those things run parallel.

Eddy. E.

You can assume that, if at all, only remnants are sold. Then you should get a small stock there. Flagellol would be the best way to combat protozoan. Levamisole is the better alternative to Praziquantel only if the fish do not eat anymore, because Levamisole is absorbed through the gills.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….