• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Interesting in breeding bolivian rams (P. Altispinosa)

cmoreash

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I am new to this site, and just registered. :D I am interesting in breeding the Bolivian ram. currently I have 4 (2 male, 2 female) in a 20 gallon tank with 5 flame tetras, 5 black neons, 2 otos, 2 corydoras hasbrosus. The tank has rootwood in it, 1 flat smooth rock, and many plants, including crypts, java fern, grass plants, and some assorted small swordplants. My temperature is around 80F, and the pH is around 7.5. My water is pretty stained right now from the driftwood, and a bit of blackwater extract. I have 4 water sprite in the tank, but they are almost dead, so i need to replace them with more plants. For filtration, I have a Penguin 170 Biowheel filter, and a 170gph penguin powerhead. I suspect this is too much circulation for the tank, so i may buy a weaker powerhead.
I have a 15 watt and a 20 watt aquaglow bulb on the tank. The rams have been in the tank for about...3 weeks? :) One of the female rams has gotten VERY territoral over one corner of the tank, and chases off all the other rams. She will lock jaws, flare up her gills, and fight with the big male, though. :roll: I feed them flakes, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae, tubifex worms, and daphnia. :eek:

:?: Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, comments about my setup, and/or how to get them to breed? :?: I am new with cichlids, but NOT with fishkeeping. :wink: THANKS for any help 8)

-cmoreash

OOPS, i put this in the wrong forum, didn't I? :oops:

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Cmore. Welcom aboard!

Check in the South American Dwarf board. There are 2 pages under a post called bolivian rams. There is some basic info there on them. The rule of thumbs seems to be time and patience. They are slow to mature, but once they get there, there doesn't seem to be too much difficulty in breeding them. My spawned in a holding tank I was using for a grow out tank and to hold some stray fish I didn't have tanks/mates for.

Neil

cmoreash,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

OOPS, i put this in the wrong forum, didn't I?

That's OK. I moved you to the right place.
Looks like every thing looks pretty good in your tanks setup. As Ken said, you probably just have to wait. Good luck!

Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….