• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Increasing ph after let the water rest

Edvin

Hi, my tap water has a ph of 8.2-8.3, and that might be good for my A. Cacatuoides, but after I let it rest for a few days(in a bowl), its ph rises to 8.7-8.8. So the water in the aquarium is also about 8.8 ph. I don't know what the water hardness is like or anything else, because I've only measured ph so far. I have a Cocatoo and 8 neon tetras too, and its a 50 liter aquarium. I don't treat the tap water(it could be a problem).

Is this ph too high for A. Cacatuoides? If so, how can I lower it?

The attached pictures shows the current state, if it helps.
IMG_20230627_172944.jpg
IMG_20230627_173405.jpg

MacZ

So the water in the aquarium is also about 8.8 ph.
Is this ph too high for A. Cacatuoides?
IF the measurement is correct then you're close to the limit. The Tetras (they are cardinal tetras (Paracheirodon axelrodi) not neon tetras (Paracheirodon innesi)) are definitely at the limit, if the numbers are correct. It is known from a study that at pH 9 the mortality rate of this species is over 50%. Provided your readings are correct and not a mistake they are on the edge of danger.
I don't know what the water hardness is like or anything else, because I've only measured ph so far
Without knowing your KH (carbonate hardness) you can't do anything but guesswork.
I don't treat the tap water(it could be a problem).
Doesn't have to do anything with pH usually. In most EU countries the water is not chlorinated, so there's also no reason to treat it. Water conditioners are usually nothing but dechlorinators.
If so, how can I lower it?
As said above, without knowing your KH there is no way of doing anything. I recommend measuring it first, as well as the GH.
The pH is linked to it, the higher the KH, the higher the pH. And you can only lower the KH safely and effectively by dilution. This is preferrably done with distilled water, rainwater or water run through reverse osmosis filters or de-ionisation filters. These types of waters have a GH and KH of almost 0, so by adding them you can dilute your water down to a place where KH is low enough so pH can also go down.

MacZ

I'm a beginner in it, so I know everyday names better, but I'm trying to get smarter.(also in my English knowledge)
It's fine. Common names vary by language, that's why I prefer the scientific names. They are fixed and internationally identical, identifying a species without a doubt.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If your fish are doing well in your water, then they will live in it quite well for a long time. The A. cacatuoides probably will not reproduce in your water, but should otherwise be fine.

Edvin

If your fish are doing well in your water, then they will live in it quite well for a long time. The A. cacatuoides probably will not reproduce in your water, but should otherwise be fine.
Thanks yor answer,
I had a female with the male but after the baby fish died (unfortunately there were only 5) she died too, maybe because she couldn't find them. Then I bought another female (I got it for free, by the way, because the right gill cover was missing). This female was young, but she laid about 30 eggs but when I find the eggs they were white and later disappeared and the second female also died. I know the community tank is not for breeding and that's why I separated the other fish from the coconut cave, but that didn't help.
If you find out what can/could be the problem, please write to me.
(You can find more information above)

Now it is looks like this, but...
IMG_20230628_180420.jpg

...when the second died it was like this:
IMG_20230620_185744.jpg

MacZ

To be honest... I am pretty sure the females died from stress. The tank is not only not structured it's barren of any features and it's likely the male killed the females. I would stick to keeping the male alone and not add another female.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….