• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Id please

pikette

5 Year Member
I am unsure of what this species is. Can anyone help me out?

Francine

Apisto2718-1.jpg

blueblue

5 Year Member
Yes, it is A. sp. Maulbruter, a "late" mouth-brooding apisto :)

P.S: it's nice to know that this species has got an official name Apistogramma barlowi now, may anybody tell me the meaning of
barlowi?

pikette

5 Year Member
Hi Frany,

This is the yellow form of Apistogramma barlowi (aka A. sp. Maulbruter).

Julio

Ahhhh! Thanks Julio! Glad to see you here!

Thanks for the ID because his daddy will need an official name when I show him at the ACA in Atlanta.

Is it common for this species to turn completely yellow once mature?

Franny

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member

P.S: it's nice to know that this species has got an official name Apistogramma barlowi now, may anybody tell me the meaning of
barlowi?

blueblue,

This thread should answer your question:

http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=7589

Nice fish Franny! And here I was going to call it Apisto. sp. "Pike Food". Maybe that's another fish. Send fry to Wisconsin when you get some please!

Jeff

viejo

5 Year Member

barlowi?

BARLOWI is a patronym honoring the late Dr. George Barlow...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are at least 2 color morphs of this species: a white (or as you call it yellow) and a blue morp. It depends on the predominant color on the flanks of the male. The color morphs seem to come from different locations, too.

I, too, want to welcome you here, Julio!

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,
There are at least 2 color morphs of this species: a white (or as you call it yellow) and a blue morp. It depends on the predominant color on the flanks of the male. The color morphs seem to come from different locations, too.

Well, I have both colormorphs and made an interesting observation.

I bought them at AquaFrerrytale in netherlands. The "yellow morph" was sold as "red morph" there.

They had "blue" and "red" morph at the same time, but from two different imports and two different locations, as far as I know. So I could compare both.
All males of the "red" morph had much more yellow at the body flanks than the "blue" morph. But then - after a while in my aquarium - they lost this color at the body and look almost the same as the "blue" morph. Also the F1 male, which is now swimming in my tank look like the "blue" male. There are just little differences in size and intensity of the reddish colouration on the gill cover.
So, could it be that the yellow colouration of the body is not a characteristic for different polychromatic colorforms, but maybe it's just a matter of feeding or dominance?

On the other hand, if I see pictures of the yellow morph in literature, e.g. in Römers description, they look different to mine and I doubt, that these fishes could loose their colouration. ;-)

So maybe, I just made a "bad catch". ...but nevertheless at the store they were obviously much more yellow at the body than the "blue" fishes from the other tank. Explanation for this?

regards,
Rolo

P.S. Julio, a friendly "Welcome!" from me, too. Nice to have you here.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Many apistos are polychromatic. Many can change color due to the food they are fed. TomC found the 2 color forms in separate locations in the wild, within 50 km of each other. It is hard to decide if this is genetic selection or different food/water conditions. My guess is that it is more likely genetic selection to microhabitats more than different food.

pikette

5 Year Member
blueblue,
Nice fish Franny! And here I was going to call it Apisto. sp. "Pike Food". Maybe that's another fish. Send fry to Wisconsin when you get some please!

Jeff

LOL! If the male I plan to show survives, I shall send you a pair of his offspring. If he doesn't you'll have to wait for the next batch.

Francine

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Francine,

That would be great, thanks! I lost my wild stock a year or two ago and never did get any fry from them. Your fish are A LOT more colorfull to boot!

Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….