• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

id please

oldschool

5 Year Member
well I am the guy who has the fish in question. Please advise as to their ID. They were sold to me as wild south American Imports. Is this not A caetei. I would apreaciate a more detailed explanation so I can know for myself for future refrence. In the meantime I have pulled that auction.

oldschool

5 Year Member
scott said:
it's being sold on aquabid as a. caetei "proven pair"!!!!
Ummm I never said proven pair, I said a pair. And I did submit the picture of the female in question. I tried to submit the picture however I have not figured out how to. Perhaps you could post the picture of the female I sent you scott.

oldschool

5 Year Member
how do I post a pic?
I sent you two pictures I thought. that is the worst of the two. the other picture is much clearer. In either case I would just like to know what to look for as I am still unsure as to the ID.

oldschool

5 Year Member
Hi all here is a better pic of the female of the male in question
show.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I have researched this and I still think its A caetei. I also do not profess to be an expert in taxonomy. I am a breeder thats what I love to do. So some help would be apreacieted.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hate to say it, but I don't see any female features like black front ventral fin rays. It could easily be a subdominant male. Based only on the pictures supplied, it's hard to say if it is male or female.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, I forgot to answer your question: "what is it?" The photos are too poor for a positive identification, but it is a good guess that it is a hybrid form that's been around for several years. This fish is sold as A. sp. Blue-head / Blaukopf / Steel Blue / New Blue. Look for links under this name.

oldschool

5 Year Member
Thank you Mike and better pics

Mike I do trust your opinion so here are two better pictures I think this should be clear. This will settle the matter for me. Thank you. I may have been fooled I guess :)
The male

The female

I would value your opinion as i may have bought a bunch of hybrids.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
David,

I wish I could be more optimistic, but the new photos sure look like a dominant & subdominant male of A. sp. Blue-head/Blaukopf/Steel-blue to me. I've been wrong many times in the past. Let's hope I'm wrong this time.

oldschool

5 Year Member
Nah your probably right. It just stinks to find out you have a hybrid. I will see if they breed. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Dave

A

ap.cacatuoides

Hmm, on my computer does'nt any of the pictures/links works :confused:
Is it just me?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….