• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID confirmation on A. sp Alto Tapiche

AmirA

5 Year Member
Hello again,

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Apistogramma sp Alto Tapiche. At least the wholesaler claims they are sp Alto Tapiche. But talking to an apisto guy he suspected these are not real sp Alto Tapiche. Is it possible to tell if they are real?
239029_IM3_19060fcad1db5da9f1482136479b10b5.jpg
239030_IM3_853a79c225574aa0043ef1a7e0fef1e9.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Why does he think they are not Alto Tapiche? They look the same as those collected by Minoru Matsuzaka and Tom Christoffersen in the Río Tapiche to me.

AmirA

5 Year Member
Well, because of the color of their tails. But I think I will go with your words. You have been right before
Thanks for the answer!

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
They look similar to the ones I received last year in the US. I say if you like how they look, get them. They look close enough that, as with any species of animal, you can sit here and argue "real" or not for hours and hours.

In my opinion: Remember, Alto Tapiche is not "real" as it is only a species name (Apistogramma sp. Alto Tapiche, not Apistogramma tapiche, etc.) Variation among populations is common, like with any organism.

AmirA

5 Year Member
You are right, Drayden. At the end of the day, it all comes to how much one like the looks of them.
Altough, at a price of roughly 150 USD a pair, I just wanted to be sure it's not A. Eunotus or something like that, as I'm an amateur and can very rarely see the difference.

AmirA

5 Year Member
Yes, they are from Ruinemans. Sorry, I didn't know if I were allowed to mention the name of the company in here. In some forums that is not allowed.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Proper etiquette would have been to link to the photo site. Otherwise it is pirating. Yes, it's common on the internet, but this is why I post so few of my photos on the internet.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not to me (nor to ButtNekkid). My real problem is that, from the original post, I though these were your photos. It would be more proper to have at least credited these photos to Ruinemans. Let's face it's nothing earth shaking, although I guess Ruinemanns could sue you for unauthorized use.:eek:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not to me (nor to ButtNekkid). My real problem is that, from the original post, I though these were your photos. It would be more proper to have at least credited these photos to Ruinemans. Let's face it's nothing earth shaking, although I guess Ruinemanns could sue you for unauthorized use.:eek:

AmirA

5 Year Member
Yes, again my bad.
Well now Ruinemans probably have more apisto enthusiasts interested in that fish ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….