• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I.D. confirmation

briztoon

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I bought this male a month ago as A. nijsseni. A week later I bought a female from a different LFS. I know 100% that these fish came from different shipments, so are unlikely to be related. For the past three days the female has been courting the male, but the male has shown very little interest in the female.

So my first question is, and I know the photo's aren't the best, is this a male A. nijsseni.

031.jpg

041.jpg

rafael

5 Year Member
I need a better photo (with the dorsal fully deployed), but the adult male of A. panduro has enlarged membranes on the anterior portion of the dorsal fin & A. nijsseni not.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hands down nijsseni. The female is a dead give away. Female panduro have more of a bar then an oval for their center blotch.

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would say that the male is A. nijsseni. Nijsseni-group species tend to be more 'choosy' about mates. Maybe he doesn't care much for the female or maybe the water values are not sufficient to get him interested in breeding. BTW, if you are buying wild fish, it is likely that the fish are not related. I wouldn't worry about crossbreeding by buying a pair from the same wild import.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….