• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hydra in my apisto tank - seeking advice

JeffInKentucky

I have discovered hydra in my apisto tank that has a pair of borellii opals that appear to have spawned - female is guarding the cave. Given that I can’t manually remove the hydra because of where it’s located, I’m thinking my best bet is Planaria Zero as described at https://fishlab.com/aquarium-hydra/. Does anyone have any experience with it and/or have other short-term solutions given that I should have fry any day now?

MacZ

You want to possibly safe that spawn, do it by hand.
Using such a poison (let's face it, it's nothing else), while there are eggs and/or fry, will make you lose the spawn very surely.
I manual is absolutely not going to happen get used to the fact that you might have to wait for the next time they spawn.

Also, unless you have a way to rehome the fry regularly you might want to actually stop them from successfully breeding.

Samala

One more thought: I had green hydra in my main tank, at least 20 that I could easily see (it's a jungle), and constantly have borellii fry of some age in there. At the time I used Panacur the youngest fry were two weeks post free-swim. Did not seem to impact the little guys. I did drop in an extra airstone and fretted about ammonia spikes from dying hydra but it worked out well. Suspect all the plants helped absorb fluctuations.

Also, even with hydra certainly present before treating, I still had many survivors from earlier spawns. Definitely not the entire spawn, but many and survival rate might have been down to other factors beyond hydra predation. So, if I were in your shoes, I might hold off until any fry are a week or so past free swim to treat.

Hope this helps!

apistobob

5 Year Member
I've had good luck using salt to control hydra. They die off at low enough salt levels that it won't harm the fish or plants. Start with 1/4 tsp per gallon and add more daily until the hydra vanish then just do regular water changes which will slowly remove the salt.

JeffInKentucky

One more thought: I had green hydra in my main tank, at least 20 that I could easily see (it's a jungle), and constantly have borellii fry of some age in there. At the time I used Panacur the youngest fry were two weeks post free-swim. Did not seem to impact the little guys. I did drop in an extra airstone and fretted about ammonia spikes from dying hydra but it worked out well. Suspect all the plants helped absorb fluctuations.

Also, even with hydra certainly present before treating, I still had many survivors from earlier spawns. Definitely not the entire spawn, but many and survival rate might have been down to other factors beyond hydra predation. So, if I were in your shoes, I might hold off until any fry are a week or so past free swim to treat.

Hope this helps!
It does help. Thank you very much!

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Since it would take me a couple days to get Panacur, I’ve always treated by attaching copper wire to a 6V battery and putting the electrodes on opposite sides of the tank for a couple hours. Sometimes I need to do it more than once, but it works and has never had ill effects on my fry or inverts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….