• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to identify the gender of ivanacara adoketa

Larry Chan

I tried to search the web but not much information on this.
Currently I hv 2 in my tank and they both look like female, however they don't fight , very confusing

Larry Chan

One is 7-8cm , i bought it 2 yrs ago , it is very likely female
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363905968.338588.jpg
and the other new purchase is about 5-6cm

Larry Chan

Thanks all!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364094343.186982.jpg
However , when I look closer to the tummy of the 1st fish, there is something look like reproductive organ which makes me think it is indeed a female. What do you think ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I saw that spawning tube, too. I guess it could be a female, but everything else points to it being a male. Maybe it's a male with a broader than usual spawning tube. Then, maybe it's an older female that has developed masculine traits. Your guess is as good as mine.

Larry Chan

In such case that it is so difficult to identify their gender, can I assume they are in pair as no fight?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….