• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to get A. sp. Maulbrauter to spawn???

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Well.. guess the title says it all!!
How do you get them to spawn??

Here is the setup.
10g tank
Lots of java moss
floating plants
a few hiding places like flower pots and coconut shells
lots and lots of sand!!
pH is around 5.5, hardness is non existent
food : bbs, frozen bloodworms, daphnia flakes, grindal worms

What else can be done to get them to spawn??

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi David,

My Maulbruters don't stop spawning! Even this summer when I wasn't doing water changes as frequently as I should have and was only feeding flake food they spawned! I've never tested their water, but the pH is probably about 7.5 and GH8 and KH5, as this is what my tap water is.

I had more than one pair in separate tanks and the pair in a tank with gravel substate didn't spawn until moved to a tank with sand substrate. The pair that were placed in a tank with sand substrate with in a couple days.

Is the female displaying her breeding colors? They get yellow and have an almost "panda" appearance simular to panduro females.

Michael

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Hi Michael,

I've never seen the female in her breeding colors...
Both of them seem to be completely indifferent to each other.

I might try switching their tank with another couple... hope this might help!

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Thanks Rich, that was good reading!!

I do have a 15 gallon tank that was just freed up, so I will quite probably move them in there this afternoon.

I'll also start some massive water changes like you did, with pure RO water.

Hope this works!!

Thanks again!

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Glad you liked the article. Be careful with the RO. Make sure to take readings and make sure that the Kh doesn't drop too low, as this could cause Ph crashes.

Rich

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
On the subject of breeding A. sp. Mouthbreeder/Maulbrüter, has anyone seen a male brooding fry? Dr. Staecks new book shows a male that appears to have an extended bucchal pouch.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
In the 6 months or so that i had mine, i never saw the male brood fry. Though that could be that I just had a touchy female. I had to take the male out and then re- introduce him after the fry were older, so she didn't beat him to death. Kinda reminds me of my ex-wife!! LOL!

Rich

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….